It's past 11PM and I can't sleep because...

Jarrote

Jan 19, 2016
Many Dominicans do NOT believe in respecting their neighbors desire for quiet evenings or nights after a long day of work. After four months living on this beautiful island I have more love for its landscape than its people. Roaming dogs barking senselessly at 3AM or the roosters joining in the ruckus before it's time to wake up, I am having a WTF moment. A unique business opportunity bought me back to the DR but this **** gets old real quick for me because I have common sense and Dominicans are accustomed to being loud and accept it. BULLA, BULLA, BULLA. I recall talking to a hotel owner near Mao, Verde who grew up under Trujillo. Although he was despicable (overall) there was less bulla during his reign and certainly NO megawatt speakers promoting vegetables up and down residential streets at 8AM on a weekend. Oh, and there was less crime. It's now 11:23PM and the dog across the street has shut up for now. The neighbor that woke me with her Karaoke moment has piped down for now. I am writing from Constanza, one of the most picturesque areas in the DR. I didn't expect to lose sleep over bulla here. I mean, Constanza of all places. But I must not forgot where I actually am on the Earth's map. Sweet dreams-- BULLA.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I would talk to those roosters if I were you! It is just in the Bible that roosters have a scheduled hour to crow. One hears them all night long in Tennessee and Minnesota as well as here and Guatemala and Panama.
Der Fish

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
When I first moved here, I thought that between the dogs and the roosters, I would never sleep again. (I am not a heavy sleeper.) However, here we are, four years in, and I can pretty much sleep through it all. When people comment on the roosters, I have to think for a minute.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Many Dominicans do NOT believe in respecting their neighbors desire for quiet evenings or nights after a long day of work. After four months living on this beautiful island I have more love for its landscape than its people. Roaming dogs barking senselessly at 3AM or the roosters joining in the ruckus before it's time to wake up, I am having a WTF moment. A unique business opportunity bought me back to the DR but this **** gets old real quick for me because I have common sense and Dominicans are accustomed to being loud and accept it. BULLA, BULLA, BULLA. I recall talking to a hotel owner near Mao, Verde who grew up under Trujillo. Although he was despicable (overall) there was less bulla during his reign and certainly NO megawatt speakers promoting vegetables up and down residential streets at 8AM on a weekend. Oh, and there was less crime. It's now 11:23PM and the dog across the street has shut up for now. The neighbor that woke me with her Karaoke moment has piped down for now. I am writing from Constanza, one of the most picturesque areas in the DR. I didn't expect to lose sleep over bulla here. I mean, Constanza of all places. But I must not forgot where I actually am on the Earth's map. Sweet dreams-- BULLA.

The old tale of the man who could not take the noisy kids anymore comes to mind. The old man had several kids playing next door in a vacant lot, and they drove him crazy. He could not take the screaming and hollering and garbage laying around. So he came up with a great idea. He decided to talk to them, tell them how much he loved them since he had no kids, and that he wanted to make sure they came EVERY DAY. To make sure they showed up, he paid them each $5 per day to come. Everyday for weeks they came and caused a riot. After a few weeks, he called a meeting, and told them a sad story. He said that he was just an old pensioner, with very little savings, and despite looking forward to their daily arrival, he just could not afford to pay them anymore. He was broke.

The next day, not one kid showed up.

Try that with your neighbors who plays the music loud. Ask her to turn it up all the way. After a few weeks, tell her you are broke. Maybe you will get lucky, and in the meantime she will blow up her speakers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if it's not too loud, my fren, try ear plugs. i use them every night (the noise of the fan bothers me). between that and the fact i am a heavy sleeper i rest like a log all night long. apparently miesposo occasionally checks if i'm still breathing because i look positively dead and i don't wake up even when house alarm goes off.

if the noise is bad enough to shake glass panels in the window frames it's probably better to move on to the greener, quieter pastures in strictly residential zone.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You think you have problems. We don't get music as live in the countryside but have the cockerels of course (we have 6 and neighbour has a million fighting cocks), cows (neighbour), goats (another neighbour) and now we have 4 limpkins who have taken up residence in the wood next to the house. One was bad enough but four? They scream all night long. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Limpkin/sounds

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You think you have problems. We don't get music as live in the countryside but have the cockerels of course (we have 6 and neighbour has a million fighting cocks), cows (neighbour), goats (another neighbour) and now we have 4 limpkins who have taken up residence in the wood next to the house. One was bad enough but four? They scream all night long. https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Limpkin/sounds

Matilda

I'll see your roosters, cows, goats and limkins, and raise you 20+ dogs barking, pigs oinking, horses neighing, and someone has a freaking peacock that I've never seen - but boy do we hear it.

And don't get me started on the evangelists who sing at the top of their lungs half the night.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I'll see your roosters, cows, goats and limkins, and raise you 20+ dogs barking, pigs oinking, horses neighing, and someone has a freaking peacock that I've never seen - but boy do we hear it.

And don't get me started on the evangelists who sing at the top of their lungs half the night.

Forgot the dogs barking but they are mine, and the puppies squeaking and dead neighbour's cat yowling but 4 limpkins are worth a million evangelists.

Matilda

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Medium to high power fan ...great at drowning out the scandolos..couldn't sleep without one

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Medium to high power fan ...great at drowning out the scandolos..couldn't sleep without one

I had an online job teaching English but had to give it up because I couldn't muffle the traffic noise enuff to be able to converse with students.
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Im in Constanza right now too and it's fairly quiet here. Much better than the capital. Some motorcycles in the village, but here at Alto Cerro it's peaceful. Wish I could live here instead of in SD.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I am in Santiago, Monte Verde......the only sound to be heard is the aircon.... suggest hat the OP accept the country and live where it's comfortable.....my neighbourhood has no colmados etc etc

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014

I'm with you on the Limpkins. Took us a while to figure what the Banshees were screaming about each night.

Our neighbor feeds the stray cats. The Limpkins move into the finca behind us, create a fuss for a couple of nights, the cats visit and the Banshhees are gone. Cycle repeats every now and then but not with the frequency of 6 months ago. We must be running low on Banshees. The cats seem to be be doing quite well. What is quiet and eats cats? I'll take six...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Limpkins are most vocal at my place between 2 - 4 AM. Shortly thereafter, the roosters start...

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My first experience with roosters, cows, dogs, etc. doing their thing all night long was my weekend stay at a friends house in Luperon. A tall glass of dark rum before bedtime solved the problem. Even made me forget about the tarantula on the ceiling in the room where I slept. If anything, it made me appreciate the relative quietness in my suite in Playa Dorada. I wake up to the sounds of morning doves there.