When does school start?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We are going to give our maid some extra pesos for school for her child. Is it correct that some schools start this Monday? She lIves near Los Charamicos, Sosua.

Aug 6, 2006
School started in Barahona two weeks ago, they said because they delayed stating for over a month last year, due to construction and remodeling of school buildings.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Some schools have summer school for children that need to catch up, plus the national tests rewrites for the final year are soon so you may have children in uniform but School officially starts on the 22nd of August as several people have said.

bigsyd

Aug 4, 2016
Just curious, I assume there is a public school system all over. What age do they start school. Are they fed lunch? Is school mandatory?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Just curious, I assume there is a public school system all over. What age do they start school. Are they fed lunch? Is school mandatory?

Not that mandatory, since if you don't have enuff money to buy a school uniform and have the right kind of shoes you are not allowed to go to school. Sosua KIds is (or was) an organization dedicatrd to making sure poor kids had uniforms and shoes. I was with a group for a while that bought shoes and uniforms for kids.but the main person behind that group went home to Germany or some non English speaking country in Europe. Basically I am just saying that I do know that it is true that they cannot go to school without proper clothes.
Der Fish

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not that mandatory, since if you don't have enuff money to buy a school uniform and have the right kind of shoes you are not allowed to go to school. Sosua KIds is (or was) an organization dedicatrd to making sure poor kids had uniforms and shoes. I was with a group for a while that bought shoes and uniforms for kids.but the main person behind that group went home to Germany or some non English speaking country in Europe. Basically I am just saying that I do know that it is true that they cannot go to school without proper clothes.
Der Fish

The government will provide uniforms and shoes for some. Last year I believe that they supplied almost 500,000 uniforms for free. To kit up with all new clothing it is about 2000 pesos. A polo shirt is 200-350, pants 300-800, shoes 700-1000. Lots of kids wear hand-me-downs. In schools that have the tanda extenda they feed them breakfast and lunch, half day schools they feed them breakfast. Public school starts at age 4. Kinder.

bigsyd

Aug 4, 2016
Thank you for that information. I was curious.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
We are going to give our maid some extra pesos for school for her child. Is it correct that some schools start this Monday? She lIves near Los Charamicos, Sosua.

Looks like a lot of schools will be starting on Tuesday, August 30th now.