Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Us Army Disabled Veterans

I will like to start this new thread to find out how many US Disabled Veterans are living in the Dominican Republic or have any intentions moving there. Please keep this thread for only US Disabled Veteran issues.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disabled vets

Odd But just last summer I was thinking what a great place this would be for disabled vets -- There are now going to be so many coming home from Iraq. I am not one-- but think it would be good place - if there were some support.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several here with some disabilities. You are onthe same track as several of my friends.....

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hillbilly, you've mentioned that "they are several here with some disabilities", are you referring to US Armed Forces Veteran or just American civilian?
    I do believe that a lot of disabled VET will be moving either to the DR or other countries in other to live a free stress life. I am thinking very much on moving to the DR by next year with my family, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I am talking to the VA to see what kind of services they can provide for us overseas.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am retired Army but not on the disabled rolls and have lived here for 10 years. The reason I chose the DR was for the stress free environment and due to the fact that I didn't want to work for a living anymore and wanted to really retire.

Being retired military and therefore being eligible for a number of health, education and financial services came to an abrupt end when I moved here due to the fact that the DOD does not allow any of its services here in the DR. It does have in place those services for the active duty members here but those don't and can't cover retired personnel.

Because of cost restraints I don't foresee this changing anytime soon.

Rick

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Tino:

You might want to look into Puerto Rico for a retirement site if you are disabled. There is an extensive support base there. There is a VA Hospital in Ponce, on the South Coast and the Army is still cadre'd in San Juan with full support medical facillites. I believe there is also Med Evac available for those whom the VA can't treat locally. Go to the US Government Web Site and punch in on the VA link. It is full of valuable information and you can get most of your questions answered there.

Hoist a Glass for ABSENT COMRADES.

Texas Bill

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass is raised!!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

i too am a recently retired Army guy (2003) looking into moving either to DR or Costa Rica. i got 30% due to an athletic injury but it's perfectly healed at this time.

keep this thread going...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Rumor has it the new big hospital outside (south) Santiago, I think it's called HOMA or some such, will be OK'd for Medicare users. It should open next spring (DR time, perhaps the fall).
    Just thinking that DOD might line up too, or be workable through the Medicare system. Worth asking whent he time comes.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Rumor has it the new big hospital outside (south) Santiago, I think it's called HOMA or some such, will be OK'd for Medicare users. It should open next spring (DR time, perhaps the fall).
    Just thinking that DOD might line up too, or be workable through the Medicare system. Worth asking whent he time comes.
    This rumor continues. Medicare regulations still to preclude payment for services rendered outside the US except in the certain instances listed. See this discussion. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/480...light=Medicare

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast