Residency Visa; Canadian

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
I'm interested in a one-year *legal* stay in the DR to live with my fiancee and would project to establish as a student enrolled in an academic institution.

I am referencing this webpage from the Consulate General of the Dominican Republic in Toronto, Ontario, Canada: http://dominicanconsulate.ca/residency-visa-requirements/

Before I communicate directly with the Dominican Consulate, I wanted to hear from you and fellow Canadians who have experience with this process.

If my application is approved, do I bring my documents (Provisional Residency Application) to an office in Santo Domingo to get a 1 or 2 year resident visa?
Because this visa is only valid for 60 days. The other tourist visa is only 60 days, also. I've googled and searched and not even the Consulate General's website answered my questions.

Some of my questions: 1) Under what circumstances would the original guarantor letter need to be signed in front of a notary public with two witnesses? 2) Where do I go for an original medical certificate?

The overstay fee is DM$6500.

I am concerned about the corrupt cops and officials and many others who will think about shaking me down or robbing me. The only route I have is a resident visa and it's one of my only defences.