Bought any good eggs laely>

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I had been buying my eggs in Jose Luis by the flat with 20 eggs each. A year ago they were 99 pesos,but have been going up to 112 and then 126 and now 133.50 These are jumbo sized eggs and I eat 3 a day and milady eats two so the 20 lasts 4 days. But recently I decided to try local colmados' eggs. The first box of a half dozen I bought at 5 pesos per egg five of the six the yolk slid out of the shell totally mixed with the albumen. So we bought the next dozen at a different colmado on the other side of our house and the same thing. They were presumably soooo damn old that there was no definition of the yolk and the white. We were somewhat determined to try to find good eggs at 5 pesos each, so we made one more try and bought 8 loose eggs at another local colmado, but apparently they had been bought from the same farmer as the 2 previously purchases, there was one good egg in that bunch also. The dogs weren't even anxious to eat them!
So we have rededicated ourselves to buy Jose Luis jumbo eggs even if they get to 7 pesos per egg.
Der Fish

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Here in Los Alcarrizos I go to the closest colmado and pay 5 pesos each for big eggs and never had a problem with their quality!

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I had enuf with bad eggs,- built a coop with nesting boxes. Fresh eggs are wonderful! However, cost of keeping layers probably more than 9 pesos an egg. I never figured out actual cost cuz they are "priceless".

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I made correction to above URL link so that it works.

Oops, didn't see this from you. Now I got it to work, Thanks. Also seeing that I remember m mother using it when we'd find eggs that the hens had hidden outside of their usual nesting spots.
Der Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I had enuf with bad eggs,- built a coop with nesting boxes. Fresh eggs are wonderful! However, cost of keeping layers probably more than 9 pesos an egg. I never figured out actual cost cuz they are "priceless".

I have been trying for months to find where I can buy baby chicks here in Puerto Plata to raise our own eggs, but everybody says the only place is from a truck that comes around. We haven't seen the truck.
Der Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just keep on buying from jose luis. sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
a friend of mine raises chickens and he crushes up sea shells and mixes it in with their food and the eggs have hard shells, they need calcium .

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
a friend of mine raises chickens and he crushes up sea shells and mixes it in with their food and the eggs have hard shells, they need calcium .

How does he crush them? Commercial chicken feed includes ground up shells from Minnesota to Tennessee to Florida, but asking a neighbor with chickens, he was not familiar with the concept.
Der Fish

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I just feed them corn and grass, the chickens do just fine. They reproduce like there is no tomorrow, and the eggs are great.

Oh , and nothing complicated with raising chickens in the dr. Food and water twice a day, hen house so they can shelter when it rains. Home-made fence to keep the dogs from feasting on the chickens.
And if you move the hen " park" around, say once a month ( depending on # of hens ), u dont even need to clean up the guano !! ( and saves your land/earth of becoming arrid and deserted-------- as they eat every single piece of vegetation ).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I had been buying my eggs in Jose Luis by the flat with 20 eggs each. A year ago they were 99 pesos,but have been going up to 112 and then 126 and now 133.50 These are jumbo sized eggs and I eat 3 a day and milady eats two so the 20 lasts 4 days. But recently I decided to try local colmados' eggs. The first box of a half dozen I bought at 5 pesos per egg five of the six the yolk slid out of the shell totally mixed with the albumen. So we bought the next dozen at a different colmado on the other side of our house and the same thing. They were presumably soooo damn old that there was no definition of the yolk and the white. We were somewhat determined to try to find good eggs at 5 pesos each, so we made one more try and bought 8 loose eggs at another local colmado, but apparently they had been bought from the same farmer as the 2 previously purchases, there was one good egg in that bunch also. The dogs weren't even anxious to eat them!
So we have rededicated ourselves to buy Jose Luis jumbo eggs even if they get to 7 pesos per egg.
Der Fish

Three eggs a day? Everyday? Better get your chloresterol checked. Give those chickens a break.