Candelier

shackdom

Jan 30, 2002
The commanding officer Candelier,is trying to make it safe to go on the highways,and should be given THANKS BY EVERY ONE.kEEP UP FINE WORK. iTS about time.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I respectfully disagree...

In principle, all the things Candelier is enforcing make perfect sense. But on a practical level, they do not. Half of the cars in the DR don't even have working seat belts. A first aid kit in every vehicle! We know that most drivers will NOT go out and get one, purely for economic reasons, and in case of an accident wouldn't even know what to do with one. So, to me, these just seem like bad excuses to haul people off to jail.

I think if Candelier were honestly concerned about road safety, he would set slightly more realistic goals. Maybe by starting slowly, with strictly enforced speed limits and by eliminating drunk driving (which seem to me the two most obvious causes of road disasters) some progress could be made. Or will this be another case of a campaign 'caliente' that will be completely abadoned in a few months time, as if it never even existed?

I am completely suspicious of Candelier's intentions. Since he has come to power attitudes have been creeping slowly backwards to a time when the police felt they were entitled to behave in any way they saw fit - with complete disrepect for the ciudadano comun and with a return to their good old terror tactics.

I won't forget when he visited Sos?a and a commission of local mothers pleaded with him to clean up the neighborhood and get rid of local druglord Ni?o Col?n (no relation to Criss...) Everybody knows that Ni?o Col?n is nothing but bad news for the community and has brought more drugs to Sos?a than has ever been seen. You would think that after this impassioned plea by a group of concerned mothers he would *at least* have made an attempt to investigate. I guess it wasn't in his best interests however, as we continue to see Ni?o driving round Sos?a in his lovely carro del a?o and polluting the community with his NYC-learned business acumen. Candelier couldn't care less.

Trivalent

Jan 31, 2002
Excellent Post Jane J.

Jane J.
I agree with your comments. Having or not having a first-aid kit is not going to improve the quality of life and is simply away to leverage police power. It is the equivalent of having the infamous "broken taillight" in the US; just another reason to pull you over.

In the States, its based on racial profiling in DR it is economic profiling (should I trademark that?:))

With all due respect to your personal experiences in Sosua, I think the general should be commended for at least taking action. His intentions are admirable but the execution suffers.

To your point instead of focusing on drunk drivers they are concerned with gas stations selling alcohol. If we are unilaterally going to write laws to enforce, a good place to start would be open alcohol containers in vehicles. Anyone caught with an open presidente in a vehicle gets carted off!

Also There is something quite not right about the working relationship between the Pres and the General. Is this just me?