Renewing British passport, not as easy as it sounds.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
For all you Brit expats living here, you may or may not know that the process of renewing your passport is no longer dealt with the British embassy in Santo Domingo.

You now have to fill in an online form here https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/ Pay online, print it out, sign it, get it countersigned by a fellow British professional and send it with the supporting documents and photos to Durham.

Sounds easy doesn't it?

Well the problem that many people are experiencing that many major couriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL etc may refuse to send your package if you declare that it encloses a passport, even if expired. The rules set by these couriers are not clearly defined and depending on the mood and helpfulness of the individual at these offices may be a cause for a major inconvenience.

Many people are posting on social media asking if anyone is traveling to try and get these documents sent. And if you do find a courier who will accept them, the price can be close to a hundred dollars to send.

And forget about asking the British embassy for help.

What I propose is that we get together as a group and find a way to petition to the UK government to provide a consular courier service like many other countries provide.

If anyone has any info on how to do this, I'm all ears.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I got a replacement USA passport in 2 hours at the USA embassy. Seems like yours should be able to do the sme for you guys.
Der Fish

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012
Nope, not any more. Back in the 'good old days' many of the larger UK embassies provided a replacement service. When I looked into replacing my passport back in 2011 while here in the DR, Washington DC was the UK embassy dealing with renewals from the Caribbean area. Now thanks to 'streamlining' ( aka cost cutting ) renewals have to be via the UK. The only travel document UK embassies/consulates will issue are one use emergency passport to UK citizens.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Having said that, I had someone take mine back to the UK for me and I received my new passport - via DHL 6 days after the lady posted it off to the passport office. So once you can get it there they get it back to you quickly. Having said that, I assume it won't be valid as soon as we leave the EU and will have to buy another nice navy blue hard cover one.

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had someone take mine back to the UK for me and I received my new passport - via DHL 6 days after the lady posted it off to the passport office.
That's what I had to do last year and it was also returned with astonishing speed.
However, it's not an acceptable state of affairs as we can't always depend on someone travelling.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You could also try using Inposdom - the Dominican Post office express mail service. Now before you start rolling on the floor laughing - I use them a lot and have never had any issues with packages. I am sure they won't make a fuss and they are much cheaper - it just takes a little longer, and a few days longer than they say it will, but everything has always arrived intact.
http://www.inposdom.gob.do/index.php/servicios/express-mail-service-ems

Matilda.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The Netherlands also stopped doing the passports here. First moved it to Washington and now it's done in the Netherlands. However , at least they send it for you to the Netherlands, together with the application form. Just now picked up two passports from the embassy that I applied for 4 weeks ago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is this thing with british passports worldwide now or other offices (say, in the USA) process renewals internally (that is, they send and receive the document)? if it's that fast then maybe it can be done during regular planned holiday trip to the states/canada?

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..many major couriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL etc may refuse to send your package if you declare that it encloses a passport..

It may not make any difference in this case but UPS accept passports if the recipient is a consulate or embassy. That I know, done it a number of times. No point of declaring it paperwork or anything else, they will check, but If it goes to a consulate or embassy they will accept it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, that's what I was told, so I tried to make the case that on those grounds a Passport Office in the issuing country should be even more legit.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Tie it in with a visit to the UK. You can go to any passport office and do it same day! It is only once every 10 years, my daughter just did hers whilst we were there, she had 18 mths left on her old one and they just added it to the new one.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Having said that, I had someone take mine back to the UK for me and I received my new passport - via DHL 6 days after the lady posted it off to the passport office. So once you can get it there they get it back to you quickly. Having said that, I assume it won't be valid as soon as we leave the EU and will have to buy another nice navy blue hard cover one.

Matilda

I don't think we will all suddenly need new passports as the British passport isn't an EU passport it is just EU compatible.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If the old-style passports are reintroduced they will probably be issued at the moment of renewal. Mine's good till 2025!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Tie it in with a visit to the UK. You can go to any passport office and do it same day! It is only once every 10 years, my daughter just did hers whilst we were there, she had 18 mths left on her old one and they just added it to the new one.

I agree. Use it as a reason to do your ten-yearly visit to see old friends and family.