Relocating advice needed

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Hi to everyone.
We are a couple that want to relocate in DR in the near future and we would like to know your suggestions about the location.
Our basic needs are: 1- market and stores nearby (to buy food etc if possible also international products without using car to reach them) 2- must be a town not too small but not too big (we hate too much traffic) 3- place where it is easier moving by bicycle or walking with dog 4- Banks available in the area 5- Low crime rate 6- expat community (we are Italian) 5- Hospital or Small Clinic available in the area 6- Vet clinic in the area 7- location on the sea.
Looking in the forum, we found that maybe Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Puerto Plata could be an interesting place.

More than one option is welcome.:squareeye

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you have not been here before you need to come and spend a couple of months exploring your options (not staying at a resort but rather renting a apt or condo). Living here is not for everyone.

Bob K

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hi to everyone.
We are a couple that want to relocate in DR in the near future and we would like to know your suggestions about the location.
Our basic needs are: 1- market and stores nearby (to buy food etc if possible also international products without using car to reach them) 2- must be a town not too small but not too big (we hate too much traffic) 3- place where it is easier moving by bicycle or walking with dog 4- Banks available in the area 5- Low crime rate 6- expat community (we are Italian) 5- Hospital or Small Clinic available in the area 6- Vet clinic in the area 7- location on the sea.
Looking in the forum, we found that maybe Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Puerto Plata could be an interesting place.

If you found a place that suits all this criteria the whole board might move there.........

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Puerto Plata would be out. Too much traffic.

You should put Sosua on your list of places to check out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is no place in the DR that meets all of those requirements. You have to come here and spend some time checking out various locations to see which one fits best.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi to everyone.

You have described Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. There is a large European population of ex-pats including many French, Italian and German along with British, Canadian and Americans. Las Terrenas has plenty of shopping and even a store own by Italians that sell products imported from Italy. Go to the top of the Northeast thread on this website and check out the Samana Tourist Guide. If you are talking about permanently relocating than you need to start the process for residency. This starts in your home country. Check with the nearest Domincan Consulate to get the requirements. Good luck and good travels.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is no place in the DR that meets all of those requirements. You have to come here and spend some time checking out various locations to see which one fits best.

There might be no place on Earth that meets these requirements.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Look very seriously at Dominicus and/or Bayahibe on the southeastern coast. Lovely towns, everything walkable, bike-able. Many, many Italians. Even Italian specialty stores.

Send a private message to AnnaC, one of our moderators. She knows the area well.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
The Bavaro area is also very walkable. Especially the el Cortecito/Los Corales neighborhoods. The beach, grocery stores and restaurants are all within walking distance. The banks are a short distance away, as are two medical facilities, Hospiten and Centro Medico. And I know of at least one vet clinic in the neighborhood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I second LTSteve that Las Terrenas does hit a lot of your criteria. I moved here last year and originally was looking at Las Galeras. Decided to use Las Terrenas as a temporary base to explore from and have never left. If you live in town, everything is walkable. If you live outside of town, then some form of transport (quad bikes seem to be the main form for many expats) is good to get you into town. Good variety of shopping available both food and hardware for the house etc.
All in all, IMHO it gives me access to what I didn't want to loose, while being in stunning scenery with beautiful beaches and generally nice locals.
Roy

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Las Terrenas sounds like it best matches what you're looking for... good luck and welcome....
Spend some time here first though to make sure you like it.... a lot different then Europe...

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Consider Costambar, a beach section of Puerto Plata. Everything is above average here. Good location. Above average beach, decent beach bars, market ATM available, relatively safe, not too crowded 5-6 days a week (sunday is a mad house). Good prices for a beach place, a lot of rental options, more than half the place appears for sale or rent. If you want "very good" expect to pay more such as sections of Cabarete or Juan Dolio.

Last edited:

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I would say based on the Biking thing that Bayahibe is the most bikeable. Las Terenas checks the other boxes but to bike is suicide.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would agree that Las Terrenas is not very bicycle friendly with quite a lot of traffic. Puerto Plata definitely no. Also Bayahibe/Dominicus should be in your thoughts.

If it is at all possible you really should visit for a month or more, travel around and see where you feel most at home.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I dislike making recommendations because what I think is great someone else might not like so I suggest you spend some time in Dominicus/ Bayahibe area. We have an Italian mart in Dominicus with Italian cold cuts etc. Not cheap but hey nothing that is imported will be. Bayahibe is a little bigger than Dominicus and does sell good bread. Lots of Italians in the area.
Much much better beaches than NC
Good luck

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
BTW, Punta Cana Village is a pretty cool place as well. It's a big Island, explore ;)

Jul 28, 2014
Hi to everyone.

I heard of this little place, called Utopia....