Haitian working legally in DR

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I have a recently graduated student who is Haitian (with Haitian passport), who has a visa which I believe is just to legally visit in the Dominican Republic for a certain period of time (which is still valid at this time, for 2 more months), but he has recently been offered a great job at a large organization which requires all employees to have the correct paperwork / visas to work. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what would be needed, as well as roughly the cost and timeline? I know there are many threads on different types of visas and residencies, but wanted to make sure this is specifically for a Haitian working in the DR.

Thanks so much for any information anyone can offer!

KITTU

May 13, 2015
The company has to make the offer to him, arrange for his visa through a lawyer, spend some money and time for this process. They have to show that his skillset is not found in DR. That company has to write an application to ministerio de trabajo, declare all their employees at SIRLA.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
A work visa is fairly easy to get as long as you have a job offer. $200 and a visit to the embassy, some paperwork (including a birth certificate) and you're good to go.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
A work visa is fairly easy to get as long as you have a job offer. $200 and a visit to the embassy, some paperwork (including a birth certificate) and you're good to go.

Wow.. from everything else I have heard, it wouldn't be nearly that easy. But I like the sound of this if it is a possibility!! Do you have any more information on this?? Or someone I can speak to?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The sites already posted above by DV8 have the info you need for your friend. The Business Visa is the one your friend needs.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Thank you for the links DV8!! Very useful! And thanks others for the info! My Spanish isn't perfect but I think I have a pretty good idea.

Anyone have any idea of what sort of time line we would be looking at??

I don't see on the links about the cost (maybe I am missing it), but you really think $200 USD? Because that is a lot better than I expected!

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
When I showed my lawyer the links, she tells me this process will take about a year and be very expensive... Is she mistaken? Or will it likely end up much more complicated than it sounds? Jaime508 - Do you personally have experience doing this process?

One other question, which I think I know the answer to but thought I'd check. Another friend told me that Haitians who have done the Plan de regulacion process are legally allowed to work with just that. Is that true? I didn't think it was. This young man hasn't done that anyway but wondered if that would be an easier process if needed? Maybe not anyway!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, those who passed regularization process can work but there is no way to do it anymore so that option is out.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
When I showed my lawyer the links, she tells me this process will take about a year and be very expensive... Is she mistaken? Or will it likely end up much more complicated than it sounds? Jaime508 - Do you personally have experience doing this process?

One other question, which I think I know the answer to but thought I'd check. Another friend told me that Haitians who have done the Plan de regulacion process are legally allowed to work with just that. Is that true? I didn't think it was. This young man hasn't done that anyway but wondered if that would be an easier process if needed? Maybe not anyway!

I get a Business Visa every year (2017 will be my 4th time). It takes me $225 and ~4-7 business days. But I have it processed in the US, not from DR, and I've got my papers in order since I'm a US citizen. If your friend is here in DR illegally or doesn't have the proper papers, then the lawyer you questioned is probably right on the length of time.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
For him to work long term in the DR he will have to go through the residency process. Yes this could take up to a year and cost $1500usd. That is if he can produce the proper documents for the process. If this potential employer wants him perhaps they would assist in paying for his residency process.