Illegal wall in front of my property and closing of street

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Help / advice needed...

Background: we own a small lot (~ 10k square metros) in the Pedro Brand (28 km) area. While in the US the owner of the property directly across the street from us decided to build a wall in front of our property thereby blocking us from accessing the street. He then proceeded to build a gate across the street from his property to ours. Now there is no way to freely access 1/2 of our property which makes it worthless. The street separating our properties is a dead end but it's a street that give access to about 8 property owners. The property owner doing the wall and gate owns the last lot and 1 on the left hand side of the dead end. We own the 2 lots adjacent and to the right of the dead end. Naturally we are fighting this guy to knock down the illegal wall and gate. We have an appointment later this month at the local govt office (ficalia) to argue our case. We have an atty to help us on this manner and possibly take the case to the tribunal de Tierra en Sto Dgo Lastly, the illegal builder is a govt Employee who works at airport and has some of the neighbors and possibly the fiscal in his pocket by bringing them goods from the airport.

What can I do to stop this illegal wall and gate building and fight this bully ?

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Help / advice needed...

Background: we own a small lot (~ 10k square metros) in the Pedro Brand (28 km) area. While in the US the owner of the property directly across the street from us decided to build a wall in front of our property thereby blocking us from accessing the street. He then proceeded to build a gate across the street from his property to ours. Now there is no way to freely access 1/2 of our property which makes it worthless. The street separating our properties is a dead end but it's a street that give access to about 8 property owners. The property owner doing the wall and gate owns the last lot and 1 on the left hand side of the dead end. We own the 2 lots adjacent and to the right of the dead end. Naturally we are fighting this guy to knock down the illegal wall and gate. We have an appointment later this month at the local govt office (ficalia) to argue our case. We have an atty to help us on this manner and possibly take the case to the tribunal de Tierra en Sto Dgo Lastly, the illegal builder is a govt Employee who works at airport and has some of the neighbors and possibly the fiscal in his pocket by bringing them goods from the airport.

What can I do to stop this illegal wall and gate building and fight this bully ?
Which airport does he work in? Just tear it down as ricky11 says.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Help / advice needed...

Unless you also have very good contacts and a lot of money to spend on fighting him otherwise just sell him the land because by the looks of it he's after that.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It's difficult to understand the lay out without a drawing. Was your lot land-locked - meaning you had to go thru his lot to get to the street? and is the wall built on his property or yours?

If it's built on your property, I wouldn't argue or go to court. Just remove it and wave nicely to your neighbor while doing so.

If it's built on his property but blocks your access, then yeah, you need a good lawyer.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
And what town are we talking about? I'd like to see the wall - just curious is all.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do I understand correctly that this person built a wall along the edge of your property? Is that wall on his property or public land?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You own 2 lots and the two together are one meter wide and 10 meters long? "10 sq metros" Good for a chicken run maybe, but what other use could it be put to?
Der Fish

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

I would try selling the property and moving on. Otherwise be prepared to waste a lot of time and money
fighting this guy if he has solid local connections.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Another vote for knocking it down..
Nothing more satisfying than Renting a DOZER. and just knocking stupid stuff down..
( if its ON your Property )
and as was said before , just smile and WAVE to him.. smile and wave.
Dominicans only respect someone who has Cojones.. its in their DNA to see how far they can push, til you push back.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Knock it down then put a lien on his property for the cost of removal. Make him fight you.
Only if it's on your property. If he walls it off then squats on your property then you have problems.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Please tell us how much do you honestly think this will
cost you in attorney fees? only to have them come back
with a "Wait to see" answer. You obviously believe this
individual has influence. is there a price on the headaches
it's gonna cost you.

Now I have a family member that will go over there with
a couple of guys from "El Ayuntamiento" 1 coronel from
Policia Nacional that will have him tearing that wall down within
2 months. costly but, will get the job done..pay when done.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
thank you all for your support and feedback.

Apologies all for not replying to your comments/questions sooner. My day job has a way if getter on the way of these things.

1) tearing it down is an option but it could turn ugly.
2) he works at the Sto Dgo airport.
3) we are looking to sell him the property but he is low balling us and does not to negotiate.
4) the was built in front of our property and across the street from his property. Imagine a U if you will. Properties on both side of the street. His property and ours are at the end. We have more property than him, hence why he feels that by putting up a gate across the street does not impact us because we still have access to our property.
5) other property owners are behind us but 1 or 2 are neutral because it does not affect them.
6) not sure the name of the area but it's behind the medical/mental institution
7) fiscalia/ayuntamiento next stop on the 17th of Aug. 2016.

Nice to know the 'ayuntamiento' still around and able to help for a feed.

Will keep you posted.