a bad case of PRESIDENTE

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Last week I went to Minneapolis for an engineering conference. One night me and few friends decided to go out on the town and so we asked the cabbie if he knew of any good latin places in the city. He took us to the only place he knew of, Congas. When we to the place it was packed with mexicans but the merengue was pumping and best of all, they were serving sancocho and presidente. Presidente in Minneapolis!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I did the natural thing and ordered the first round, my friends were puerto rican and chilean so and this was their first Presidente....I am excited and I get them excited because to me President is the best beer there is (of course I am biased). So the bartender serves us and the first thing i notice is that the Presidente is not frosted...no biggie I think, at least it's cold. I take the first drink and it tasted like dog **** (i am assuming!), I spit it out - how could this Presidente taste so damn bad...could it be that maybe it had been at the bar too long? or is there a Presidente factory in the states that just does a poor job? The born on date was Dec 14, is that fresh enough? The same thing happened when I got back to upstate NY, why is Presidente here so damn bad???????

Next time I want to introduce friends to Presidente I am going to make them fly with me to DR.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Lucky you (sort of) - you can't even buy a bad Presidente here in Canada - anywhere...

And as for rum! The closest thing (geographically) to Dominican rum they sell here is Haitian rum and I think my husband would have a few choice words for me if I brought *that* home...So we settle for Cuban...

Que vaina.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
It is not dominican presidente

first..i got to agree with you. presidente is the best beer in the mundo...no two ways about it.

second..the presidente sold in some parts of the usa is produced and bottled in arecibo in puerto rico. now why was it not frosted..simple. in the usa the alcohol percentage is controlled at a strict 6%. but our regular pequena in good old DR is anything from 8 to 12. that is why you see so many people get tipsy on a few presidentes..specially first timers from abroad.

with the low alcohol you cannot get to the vestido de novia stage as it becomes helado well before that.

in the usa..try the mexican negra modelo or the closest to presidente in mexico is victoria...ask AZB for second opinion.

cheers

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
what a ripoff!

I knew it couldn't be the same Dominican Presidente we all know and love. When I complained to the bartender about the poor quality of the "fake presidente" he took them back and gave us Negra Modelo. Those were actually really good, not Presidente good, but better than most beer I've had.

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
"The born on date was Dec 14, is that fresh enough? The same thing happened when I got back to upstate NY, why is Presidente here so damn bad??????? "

The date on the bottle is the "consume before" date not the "born on date".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not think that Presidente is made anywhere except in Santo Domingo. If the consume before date has passed, the beer dies. here the beer trucks go around and routinely pick up past due beer.

I will investigate further.

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hillbilly is right. The presidente sold in USA and DR are the same beer, distilled and bottled in DR. Same content of alcohol. Its just the beer that is bottled here is consumed right away, fresh as opposed to the half cold bottle which reaches USA after a few weeks.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Presidente 8 to 12% ???????

I doubt that VERY much. More like 2 to 5%. As for the "Bad"taste, it could be because it was outdated. Presidente sell so much that I'm sure they have to "cut corners" when they brew it. I have had people tell me it's outright "Poison" and only drink imported beer. Even though it is the best seller in the DR, it is by far NOT the best beer on the planet but we don't have any choices. As they are one of the top (If not the top) tax payers in the DR, they put enough pressure on the Gov. to charge high import duties on other beers to make the cost so high that they cannot compete. BTW, I drink Presidente but I give a lot of thought to the preceeding.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The US$64,000 question

I posted this in the old forum. I hope it answers some of your questions.
==================================================
Many times I?ve read that the Presidente sold in USA is different from the beer sold in DR, I, not being a connoisseur myself, decided to find out about the ?mystery of the missing taste?. A source within The Corporation told me the secrets of the making of Presidente, well, not really, but I learnt what makes the beer from DR and US different: Nothing. It is exactly the same beer.

Surprised? Never mind. The Presidente people already heard complaints of the different taste and they have done their own research. Their theory is that people do believe that it tastes different, and you know what the power of self-suggestion can do to you. It is a powerful thing, it cannot make you fly as I learnt when I tried to fly off the roof of my house, :rolleyes: but it can make you believe that the beer in DR is better.

According to my source, all the beer is brewed in the same tanks regardless of the final destination. When the production department gets an order to produce beer for export they just stop a line to switch the bottles. The bottles they use for export is not the same the same one they use for local consumption (they just look the same, are made of the same material and feel the same). They call the bottles for export ?one use bottles? as they will not return to be reused; the local bottles are not ?profitable? until they are used at least 4 times. The label is different too. The label used in Puerto Rico is also different from the ones used in Florida, New Jersey and New York for legal reasons. The ?neck label? may be different depending on whether the taxes have been paid in advance or not.

The beer may be affected by conditions of light, temperature, movement and time in stock. Apparently the beer for export should be consumed within the same time as the beer for the local market, but in average the thirsty Dominicans drink their beer within two days from production, the beer consumed in the US takes at least 5 days to get to the market. That may add a slight difference to the taste, but not significant. According to surveys made by Presidente there is nothing in the handling process that can affect the beer in such way as to make the taste different. Draw your own conclusions. :D

Last edited:

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
Pib you are 99% accurate

The US$64,000 question
I posted this in the old forum. I hope it answers some of your questions.

I also posted this on the old forum.
Presidente for EXPORT has ONE additional process. When it leaves the pasturizer, EXPORT Presidente is cooled rapidly in the pasturizer cooler. This process supposedly adds to the shelf life.
Last January (2001) I was given a tour of CND. I saw everything from where the grain comes in to where the Cervesa is shipped out.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
no born on date

WOW, that was some really old Presidente!

Eddy - Best beer or lack of choices, it's all subjective. I am not a big beer drinker but there's something about an ice cold Presidente that makes me want to just hop on a flight back to DR.

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
Bad Presidente

The worst enemy of beer is the wild swings in temperature they withstand during transportation.
That is the reason you see a lot of european brewers licensing their products to amrerican bottlers.
If you hit a beer hole in Germany, you could gulp a few rounds and get up the next day like nothing happened. Drink the same beer in the states, next day you're barely breathing!
Until bottled in US or Canada, I stay away from Presidentes here.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
DRtechie

Maybe this morning's hangover prompted my post. OR maybe it was that cheap wine. LOL.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Presidente at 8 - 12% alcohol

Missing-dr,

If you read the "fine print" on the Presidente label, it's written something like "guaranteed no more than 6% alcohol"

I think Eddy is right. I can be lower, but most likely not higher than 6%.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
It is more than 8

believe me..i have friends who work in cerveceria nacional....and also..guaranteed in DR means Nada!!!

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Unless......

......they accidentally drop a few bottles of Brugal "151" in the bin!!!!

In DR, who knows!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
AZB said:
Hillbilly is right. The presidente sold in USA and DR are the same beer, distilled and bottled in DR. Same content of alcohol. Its just the beer that is bottled here is consumed right away, fresh as opposed to the half cold bottle which reaches USA after a few weeks.

I can't speak for the rest of the USA but in the state of Florida no beer is allowed a alcohol content of over 4.75 % so the Presidente sold here is NOT the Same!

Tony C.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Jane J. said:
Lucky you (sort of) - you can't even buy a bad Presidente here in Canada - anywhere...

And as for rum! The closest thing (geographically) to Dominican rum they sell here is Haitian rum and I think my husband would have a few choice words for me if I brought *that* home...So we settle for Cuban...

Que vaina.

Barbancourt Rum from Haiti is one of the finer rums produced on this planet. Much better than any Dominican Rum. The 4 Star Barbancourt is sipped like a fine congac!

As for Cuban Rum, It hasn't be produced since 1959. What your husband is drinking is the Sweat and blood of the Oppressed slaves of the Castro regime!

Tony C.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tony_c wrong

TITLE XXXIV Alcoholic Beverages And Tobacco

568.01 Alcoholic content of intoxicating liquors.--For the purposes of this chapter, all liquors, wines, or beer containing more than 6.243 percent of alcohol by volume shall be deemed and held to be intoxicating liquors, wines, or beer and subject to the provisions of this chapter.

There is no state statute setting alcohol content of beer. Only the above that defines intoxicating beer.

barbancourt 4 Star is excellent. We used to sneak across he border to get it. Heard that the lesser Barbancourts have decreased in quality.

john harper

Jan 1, 2002
the colour of the glass has a lot to do with it,beer in green glass will spoil alot faster then beer in a brown bottle.