JUMBO opens in Hig?ey

May 29, 2006
Right across from IBERIA. We did a walkthrough last night and I didn't see anything that wasn't also available at IBERIA or Sirena. Still crowded with the grand opening sales.

Anything you can get there and nowhere else? The bakery might have potential. Prices were nothing special.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks, 'Our' new Jumbo for Puerto Plata looks like it is still a good 6 months out, but they are working on it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Jumbo is where the old Sema store used to be. La Sirena is on the outskirts of town on the way to Romana.

Jumbo has the importation/distribution rights for a line of products, but I can't remember the name. I think its a Spanish (as from Spain, not the language) label.

Feb 7, 2007
I have not yet been to Jumbo but if they are going to be same as in Romana, meaning the most expensive place to shop and have lunch, then I will avoid them. Since some time ago Iberia is bringing in a lot of imported stuff from Spain, things that smell and taste like home even if I am from a different part of Europe, so there is not much need for me to shop at Jumbo.

May 29, 2006
We usually shop at IBERIA about once a month for special items. Sirena is farther but has some good sales now and then. I find it's cheaper to shop like Dominicans bc if we buy more than a day's supply, it ends up getting shared with the extended familiy. We get a lot of our cooking done by my sister in law so works out.. pretty much.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You're learning the "Colmado Way", Peter, much cheaper for you in the long run.

We usually shop at IBERIA about once a month for special items. Sirena is farther but has some good sales now and then. I find it's cheaper to shop like Dominicans bc if we buy more than a day's supply, it ends up getting shared with the extended familiy. We get a lot of our cooking done by my sister in law so works out.. pretty much.

May 29, 2006
The sharing/lending of EVERYTHING has been one of the hardest adjustments to make.mostly bc I usually find out when I need something I just bought and it's gone. A couple weeks ago I bought a can of milk and some sugar to make a batida, and the quarter papaya in the fridge is gone. I stupidly put the milk in the fridge and go out to get a papaya and then the milk is gone.By the time I find the blender, the ice is gone.. sometimes 80 or even 100 pesos for a batida at a cafe is a very good deal!