Shell gasoline changed to Total

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The Shell station locally has been reflagged as Total. Does anyone know if this is just a local thing or national or global? The Burger King inside is still Burger King, but the brand of gasoline has apparently.
Der Fish

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have been sticking with Shell all of my life, still shell here in NC.

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been sticking with Shell all of my life, still shell here in NC.

JJ

I use whatever is available (in the US what was least expensive).
I would keep a vehicle for at least 10 to 12 years. I would have noticed the difference driving the same
vehicles for so long. Never noticed anything at all different.
Shell was probably the one I used the least (in the US it seemed they were higher in price and less available where I lived).

Back to the OP, it appears Total bought out at least that one Shell station.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The Shell station locally has been reflagged as Total. Does anyone know if this is just a local thing or national or global? The Burger King inside is still Burger King, but the brand of gasoline has apparently.
Der Fish

National.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...tal-gets-majority-stake-in-Shell-gas-stations

The shell pumps were managed by a company of the vicini group and they sold 70% to Total. Since long Shell didn't own any of the gas stations with their name on it, probably since they sold their part in refidomsa in 2008 and left DR.

And Burger King is from Corripio (partly owned).

Last edited:

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Der Fish

I don't know about every one of them but I have seen the change from the north coast, Santiago, the capitol and east of the capitol.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I seem to remember hearing that Shell had been sold - the RD company.

Really just a branding thing , yes new owners but I suspect the gas will continue to be from the same source.

Prices are all dictated across the country, as far as I know

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Even in Ft. Lauderdale all the big gas stations like Shell buy their fuel from the same refinery.

A long long time ago I had a job in a refinery weighing in and out the trucks that came in from the various brands of gasoline.I noticed more than one driver climbed up on their rig as it was filling. with a small jug (a couple of gallons or so) and dumped it into each of the tanks their truck is divided into. I asked a couple of them what that was all about and each assured me that that was the magical ingredient they advertised that their gasoline had that nobody else had.
Der Fish

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
A long long time ago I had a job in a refinery weighing in and out the trucks that came in from the various brands of gasoline.I noticed more than one driver climbed up on their rig as it was filling. with a small jug (a couple of gallons or so) and dumped it into each of the tanks their truck is divided into. I asked a couple of them what that was all about and each assured me that that was the magical ingredient they advertised that their gasoline had that nobody else had.
Der Fish

so that is what happened to jacks magic beans :eek:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Der Fish
This is correct.

A former business bought over 1,500,000 gallons of Jet-A and 250,000 gallons of AvGas (110L) a year.

All additives, including Prist, were added in the transport tanker before leaving the holding tank which are very rarely at the refinery. Almost all fuels are transported from the refinery to distribution by pipeline, or sometimes by barge tanker, then pipeline.

Fuels are all the same. With the exception of octane, any add-ons for branding are added after leaving the holding tank.

I'm not sure about distribution or refinery capability in the DR.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Gasoline is not a fixed formula. A run of product is tested in a test engine.
The product runs the engine in the same way a a standard blend rating is established.

Iso-Octane (2,2,4, Tri-Methyl Pentane) has an octane rating of 100
Nonane has an Octane rating of 0.

92% Iso-Octane and 8% Nonane is a 92 octane test standard.

What make the gasoline Shell in is the can of stuff they dump into to tanker before the product fills it.

DS