less marriages celebrated in dominican hotels

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
My daughter came down from NY to be married on July 13th in Hard Rock Resort Punta Cana......numbers in 2016 will increase.....lol

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I know the Dominican Gubmint and tourism minister do not believe the bad experience had by tourism would ever affect business here.

Two come to mind in past yearish. Canadian guy and nephew held in Higuey jail for months after wedding in resort.
Recently two Scandinavians suspiciously die on honeymoon while staying at resort.

There are so many choices why would people even care who was at fault, why risk it at all, go elsewhere. Maybe Cuba weddings will go up

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it has more to do with changes in the law regarding documents needed for marriage. that stupid apostille thing really fcuked up the process.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
i think it has more to do with changes in the law regarding documents needed for marriage. that stupid apostle thing really fcuked up the process.

That makes sense, actually it doesnt which is why here it does. Never seen an impoverished country that tries so hard to over complicate things. The logic here is, if it works, lets try to fcuk it up1

Apr 7, 2014
That makes sense, actually it doesnt which is why here it does. Never seen an impoverished country that tries so hard to over complicate things. The logic here is, if it works, lets try to fcuk it up1
The idea is by complicating things they can generate more revenue for go betweens and "decipherers" plus it makes them look advanced.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

high level of bureaucracy is common in impoverished countries. it generates lots of low level, low pay jobs and it is very effective mean of controlling general population. coming from formerly communist country i do not find it surprising or strange.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...Was married in 2016 at a hotel in Santiago....wanted this to happen on the ocean....but after many weeks of e mails, phone calls. none were returned, the 2 hotels that totally ignored me was the 2 RUI ,in puerto plata, ... finally did the paper work myself, found the Matum in Santiago, nice facilities, new pool....great time was had by all.....I can see why many people after trying to talk to a hotel wedding planner would just give up... yes the paperwork in the DR is horrible...if you do your own paperwork, shop the Dominican consulates in the USA, the one in california was about 10 times more expensive that Chicago, the cheapest.....if you want the best use, Colonial House, Playa Dorado, and bring a fat wallet......Doc......

Apr 7, 2014
Thats actually the retard mindset that many Latin Americans use. "If business is down, just jack up the prices"
Just to keep it related. My own example this week in this apartment I have. No one is satiated with a sample they all must have the whole ensemble. I wouldnt say retarded but foolishly complicated.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have 2 daughters ~ 30 yrs old.
They and all their peers are frightened of Zika...
the child bearing aged women share this fear.

Travel to the Caribbean is slower generally in this age group (IMO) from what I see from my daughters' group.

Even some our friends are reluctant to visit after reading the papers.
They seem to ignore the FLA Zika outbreaks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have 2 daughters ~ 30 yrs old.
They and all their peers are frightened of Zika...
the child bearing aged women share this fear.

Travel to the Caribbean is slower generally in this age group (IMO) from what I see from my daughters' group.

Even some our friends are reluctant to visit after reading the papers.
They seem to ignore the FLA Zika outbreaks.

Good point.  I know a lot of people cancelled trips last year due to Zika fears.  A good friend of ours in SD had Zika earlier this year, guy in mid 60s, he had a rough time.  It's not the illness they fear though, of course, it's the birth defects.........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly... my own daughter , who loves the Cabrera house hasn't been down in over a year.
She's considering this summer after a long campaign by me....

Surely, she isn't the only 'non-visitor'

Sep 4, 2012
i think it has more to do with changes in the law regarding documents needed for marriage. that stupid apostille thing really fcuked up the process.

Spot on!

Papeles, documentos, cedulas, passports requirements are the biggest disparates in this country. These guys certainly know how to make anything simple a pure disaster and they are so darn good at inefficiency.

It **** me off so bad to the point of having a heart attack to step into any bank or government offices due to the stupid requirements and the speed at which they change depending who you talked to and whom you actually know.

Plain ridiculous!

And to make it wedding related; I did stopped by a wedding at the beach while in an AI resort in Punta Cana..... :)

Apr 7, 2014
Spot on!

Papeles, documentos, cedulas, passports requirements are the biggest disparates in this country. These guys certainly know how to make anything simple a pure disaster and they are so darn good at inefficiency.

It **** me off so bad to the point of having a heart attack to step into any bank or government offices due to the stupid requirements and the speed at which they change depending who you talked to and whom you actually know.

Plain ridiculous!

And to make it wedding related; I did stopped by a wedding at the beach while in an AI resort in Punta Cana..... :)
I walked.into Banco.Popular last Friday to swap $120US into DOP @ 47.28. The women told me I needed a passport or cedula. I was like thats a crock of dogbricks, for a mere 6 $20 bills?
Then I had to waste my time hiking all the way downtown Santiago on Saturday to change the money at a jewelry store at 47.25(same Caribe Tours rate)

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk