Marine radio regulations. How tough?

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
Oct 11, 2010
Mariners,
I have two marine radios. We are going to use them with motorized hanggliders (see below if you are curious). How severe is a problem of using the marine radio on the shore? This is "don't even think about it" level in USA. How about DR?

Assuming you are referring to a standard Marine VHF radio operating in the frequency range 156.0 to 162.05 MHz, I'm surprised you qualify it as "don't even think about it" level in the USA.

"Voluntary ships" which applies to recreation or pleasure craft, are not required to have a license to operate a marine VHF radio in the USA. And although Channel 16 is an international distress channel actively monitored by the USCG, as a rule the other channels are not and are used with VERY LITTLE discretion.

I own a boat equipped with VHF radios here on the North Coast (Puerto Plata). I've had the boat and have been fishing here and using the radios without any license for 15 years. Also all the recreational boaters I know from Maimon to Sos?a use their VHF marine radios without licenses. I communicate with all the local vessels any time I am out on the water and have never had any problem communicating on local frequencies. Since channel 16 is a distress frequency we do not use it for ship to ship or ship to shore communications.

HOWEVER, I am just passing along my personal experience here on the North coast since you ask about MARINE radios. This IS NOT an endorsement to do the same, as you stated you will be using them with "motorized hanggliders" and this may fall under the jurisdiction of Civil Aviation. The Aircraft Band VHF radios operate in the frequency range of 108 to 137 MHz and it is ILLEGAL in most countries to transmit on the Airband frequencies without a suitable license.

MikeFisher who is a frequent DR1 contributer may be able to help you further, he is on the east coast and has extensive local knowledge.

Good Luck.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Looks like fun!

As a pilot / aircraft owner here on the North Coast, I would suggest you get a pair of portable air band radios. Just to be safe you can tune in to the local tower frequency of PUJ and LRM if you're in their vicinity. For air-to-air comms, choose a frequency not used such as 123.45.

There are low flying aircraft around here. I will occasionally buzz the coastline at 500 feet and there are helicopters that do the same. Would be nice to know if you're operating in the area.

I would guess that you are licensed to fly these motorized hang gliders and as such you should be qualified to use the radio.

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
NY-DR Commuter, it seems I was not clear enough. One doesn't need license to operate such a radio on the boat. "Don't even think about it" part refers to using such a radio on land.

beeza, I am licensed. Despite of I don't fly them myself :) I appreciate your advise on frequencies.
My question was induced by necessity of air-to-base communication. I have two Uniden MHS135DSC radios. The glider is floating. Thus, it has air and marine registrations. Using the radio on the glider is OK, indeed. But - what about the base? Can mommy (from land) radio-call the glider?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
NY-DR Commuter, it seems I was not clear enough. One doesn't need license to operate such a radio on the boat. "Don't even think about it" part refers to using such a radio on land.

beeza, I am licensed. Despite of I don't fly them myself :) I appreciate your advise on frequencies.
My question was induced by necessity of air-to-base communication. I have two Uniden MHS135DSC radios. The glider is floating. Thus, it has air and marine registrations. Using the radio on the glider is OK, indeed. But - what about the base? Can mommy (from land) radio-call the glider?

You obviously know how to use a radio and observe the correct protocols. I would say that using your marine radio should not pose any problems.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
An amphibious motorized hang glider? Sounds really cool. Got any pics?

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
beeza, sure. Here is two sitter (a pilot + a passenger) On the whater. On the ground. Owner can replace wheels and floats - depends on intended use.
There is a three-sitter, too. Here it is, on the land. This video is showing its flying from the water.

If you are going to be in La Romana area - you can take a look at the bigger one. It's parked on my yard. The small one is flying in Miches right now.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Great video, and thanks, can we work on the sound track with you please?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mariners,
I have two marine radios. We are going to use them with motorized hanggliders (see below if you are curious). How severe is a problem of using the marine radio on the shore? This is "don't even think about it" level in USA. How about DR?

Hanggliders in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=X3k8O8uFAcg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fx4CphXHuI over Miches, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR4-9lH6mOw over Casa de Campo)
What is the purpose and use of the radios?

Muaser

Oct 19, 2014
Tamborista, I'm sorry, I don't understand you. I have no clue what music it is. One of free tracks of youtube video editor, probably. The pilot's daughter made videos. She did it for fun, to post on her social profiles. There is no commercial use. What do you mean by "work on the sound track"?

cobraboy, there are two reasons. The important one is to call for help in case of emergency. That's why I selected a built-in GPS model. More common use wold be talking with the landing area. The glider has no anchor. It's nice to have some help to tie it up. So, the pilot will be able to notify the base that he is going back. Additionally, of course, to talk with nearby boats if required. Although, I cannot imagine a situation when it is really necessary. If you may suggest more use - I'm open to all ideas.