Foster System in the DR?

Marie Caprio

Aug 20, 2016
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a foster system in the DR, and where I could find more information about it. I looked on the CONANI website and learned about adoption, but I didn't see anything about foster care (nor do I know the term for "foster care" in Spanish--anyone?)

I am planning to move to the DR soon. My ultimate goal would be to adopt at least one Dominican child. But I was also curious if foster care (and then applying for adoption) is an option like it is in the United States. Also, if there IS a foster care system, are the foster parents given some kind of stipend to help care for the child? Even though I doubt that, I figure it is worth asking.

Thank you,

Marie

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been here 13 years. I have never heard of a foster system here. Yours is the first question I have ever seen about one.

Marie Caprio

Aug 20, 2016
That's unfortunate that there is no such system, I would love to have a child in my home, but thank you for answering my question.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have been here 13 years. I have never heard of a foster system here. Yours is the first question I have ever seen about one.

It might be because there are still orphanages all around DR, and I don't think I've seen one in the US in decades.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I tried to chase it down a few months ago. I didn't get anywhere either. When I asked about caring for babies that had no parents the woman on the phone assured me there is no such thing in this country!
Der Fish

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is a foster system but it is not regulated. I have two foster children and it is easy in that the parents ask you to look after their child. There is no legal requirement or checking but you can give a home to a child who really needs one. If you need help then just pm me. Oh or if you don't have the posts needed to pm then email me at lindsfm@hotmail.com.

Matilda

Apr 7, 2014
It might be because there are still orphanages all around DR, and I don't think I've seen one in the US in decades.
They have orphanages everywhere in the US. They just dont call them that anymore. They are called residential group homes now and many of those children are wards of the State or the Catholic Church or the Baptist Church.

Apr 7, 2014
There is a foster system but it is not regulated. I have two foster children and it is easy in that the parents ask you to look after their child. There is no legal requirement or checking but you can give a home to a child who really needs one. If you need help then just pm me. Oh or if you don't have the posts needed to pm then email me at lindsfm@hotmail.com.

Matilda

That's unfortunate that there is no such system, I would love to have a child in my home, but thank you for answering my question.
Yea. If you want a child just ask someone to give you theirs. Sounds stupid and highly exploitative to me but these people.........[emoji20] .

A woman in Tamboril offered me the guardianship of her 3 or 4 year old daughter. Mr Big Spender Johnny USA can give her a gold(typo), good life and I can go about my silly life doing silly things.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Yea. If you want a child just ask someone to give you theirs. Sounds stupid and highly exploitative to me but these people.........[emoji20] .

A woman in Tamboril offered me the guardianship of her 3 or 4 year old daughter. Mr Big Spender Johnny USA can give her a gold(typo), good life and I can go about my silly life doing silly things.

When we were asking around about foster care we were offered one for sale at $5000 pesos and the second at 20,000 pesos, but they were both Haitians and my lady being a standard Dominicana was sure that any Haitian baby would have AIDS!
Der Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
knowing the dominican mind, what is to stop the parents from asking you for money and if you decline, going to the police and charging you with kidnapping?
it would cost you a lot to try to straighten it out.

Even without that complication what about when it came time for the kid to go toschool without an ID, or if kid gets past that hurdle how do they get a cedula when they are grown without a birth certificate?
Der Fish

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Fostering is on the Conani web site - programa de acogimiento. http://www.conani.gob.do/.

We have one child who lived in the same street as us when we lived in the barrio, and he started to spend every day at our house when he was 4. When we moved he comes to us for weekends and school holidays and I have taken him on holidays around the DR. Those of you who follow the blog will know him as Chivirico the body guard. The second is the son of my husband's half brother and a Haitian lady and neither can take care of him. He is 10 now and lives with us full time and goes to school. It is normal practice in the DR for children to be brought up by someone other than thier parents, less than half live with both parents, the remainder by single parents or grandparents, other family members or non relatives. I suggest you start with Conani or look into volunteering for a local orphanage and take it from there.

Matilda

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
As Matilda says, fostering is a common practice here, especially in the inner towns. The child is known as "hijo de crianza." It is adoption without the paperwork.

Aug 6, 2006
Hijo de crianza is as a rule more humanitarian than the Haitian "rest-avec" in which small children are - fed and and housed in return for their use as servants.

Apr 7, 2014
Hijo de crianza is as a rule more humanitarian than the Haitian "rest-avec" in which small children are - fed and and housed in return for their use as servants.
I actually think the OP meant the latter. People say all types of slick stuff and if you remember 2010 after the earthquake. They talked all that Hullabaloo and they tried to leave the country with these children who would have been who knows what sex slaves or organ trafficked in Europe.

Aug 6, 2006
IN Miami, there have been several cases in which Haitian residents have brought children that were not their own in as though they were and used them as servants, feeding them leftovers and having them sleep in the garage.
A young teenage girl escaped bondage a couple of years ago, and the family that had exploited her was jailed for it.

Apr 7, 2014
IN Miami, there have been several cases in which Haitian residents have brought children that were not their own in as though they were and used them as servants, feeding them leftovers and having them sleep in the garage.
A young teenage girl escaped bondage a couple of years ago, and the family that had exploited her was jailed for it.
The penalty?