Possible for tourist to buy SIM card?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
An acquaintance from an EU country who arrived today for a 10-day holiday has asked me if he can buy a SIM card by showing his passport.

I know it was possible some years ago, but I believe the system changed a couple of years back?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have an unlocked Blackberry and have been buying one for the last 3 winters. No idea about newer fancy phones. I don't remember having to show a passport.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have an unlocked Blackberry and have been buying one for the last 3 winters. No idea about newer fancy phones. I don't remember having to show a passport.
LOL. Blackberrys are advanced technology to me. I use my cellphone to make and receive calls and text-messages and that is it.

You did not need to show a cedula either? Surely Dominicans need to show one?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You did not need to show a cedula either? Surely Dominicans need to show one?

No cedula, no idea about what Dominicans have to do. Claro at Jumbo in La Romana will sell sim cards. I'm old so I'm clear on what I'm saying, I buy what I call a chip which gives me a Dominican phone number then buy minutes as I need them. I buy mine in Dominicus.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
An acquaintance from an EU country who arrived today for a 10-day holiday has asked me if he can buy a SIM card by showing his passport.

I know it was possible some years ago, but I believe the system changed a couple of years back?

It's possible, just bring a passport to any store.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Why dont you just RENT a Sim Card. why bother with all that ID nonsense.. unless your friend want to keep that # for his future trips.
And yes, they ask for a Passport..

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Depending on your phone Orange or Claro.
Just bring your Passport no hassle.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Why dont you just RENT a Sim Card. why bother with all that ID nonsense.. unless your friend want to keep that # for his future trips.
And yes, they ask for a Passport..

Claro or Orange won't rent a SIM, but they only charge $100 RD. Besides, with a rental, they'd need to charge a deposit to get the SIM back. It'd be more hassle, not less, to rent.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

You can still buy one with your passport. The system has changed so that you need the original passport now, not a copy. But it still takes less time than reading this thread to accomplish.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Claro or Orange won't rent a SIM, but they only charge $100 RD. Besides, with a rental, they'd need to charge a deposit to get the SIM back. It'd be more hassle, not less, to rent.

I have Rented from the Orange at Super Playero, maybe the girl rented her own sim to me but it did not seem like she was breaking any rules and I was told they will do this , if you ask.. Yes there was a "deposit" which i got back.
but at 100 DP , yes its not worth it... unless you dont want your passport involved , which some people do NOT..
in My case they could not get my Sim working for some reason, system problems? and I could not come back next day. So I rented and returned it a week later.. worked pretty well for me..
maybe they dont do it anymore. idk.