Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default US Law enforcement, bringing a firearm

Any law enforcement officers traveling to the DR with a gun? My friend is a PA State policeman. Is he permitted to check his gun on the plane? Second question, does he need any special permit once he arrives in the DR, or is he allowed to carry due to his occupation in the US?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

He should know about his ability to cary his gun on a plane. And I hope he has no reason to have a gun and be a cop in the DR.

3. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Tourists cannot carry firearms legally in DR. The police will arrest first, and ask questions later. The firearm in question will no doubt vanish without a trace, and the ranking commander will have a new souvenir courtesy of the PA state police.

5. Likes DOMINCAN JOE liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reilleyp View Post
    Any law enforcement officers traveling to the DR with a gun? My friend is a PA State policeman. Is he permitted to check his gun on the plane? Second question, does he need any special permit once he arrives in the DR, or is he allowed to carry due to his occupation in the US?
    I once read during the time when airplanes were being hijacked to Cuba on a semiregular basis a serious proposal that all military officers even retired ones and all police officers should be required to carry arms on any flight for the protection of the flight.
    Der Fish

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless traveling on official government business as a State Trooper, coordinated and approved by both countries....he cannot legally bring a weapon into the country.

There are exceptions....but none based on this set of facts.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

8. Likes Frank the Tank liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally hope it's not permitted. I would assume your friend would have to be traveling in some sort of official capacity to get permission. If he isn't coming on official business, I have to wonder why he would be asking about bringing a firearm. It sounds like a bad situation could unfold. Good luck.

10. Likes drstock, irishpaddy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

He might be able to bring it in, he for sure won't be able to bring it back. Unless of course that is the plan.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The Second Amendment does not apply in the DR.

Unless his visit was official and liaising with Dominican police the fact that he is a cop in the States means diddly squat here and he would be regarded as just a gringo with an illegal unregistered firearm under DR law, were he able to get it into the country.

13. Likes bluemoonnyc liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

PI$$ Poor idea!!!!!

Cccccc

15. Likes SKY, RV429, drstock, jinty05, yacht chef and 3 others liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately your friend is not permitted to transport nor carry a firearm in the Dominican Republic. U.S. law enforcement officials operating in the Dominican Republic carry under diplomatic and mutual provisions underlined by the Dept of State. U.S. law enforcement has a fairly large presence here, however local and state law enforcement do not. If your friend wants to carry his service weapon on vacation in the Caribbean, I would suggest Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

17. Likes reilleyp liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast