US Law enforcement, bringing a firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Any law enforcement officers traveling to the DR with a gun? My friend is a PA State policeman. Is he permitted to check his gun on the plane? Second question, does he need any special permit once he arrives in the DR, or is he allowed to carry due to his occupation in the US?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
He should know about his ability to cary his gun on a plane. And I hope he has no reason to have a gun and be a cop in the DR.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Tourists cannot carry firearms legally in DR. The police will arrest first, and ask questions later. The firearm in question will no doubt vanish without a trace, and the ranking commander will have a new souvenir courtesy of the PA state police.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Any law enforcement officers traveling to the DR with a gun? My friend is a PA State policeman. Is he permitted to check his gun on the plane? Second question, does he need any special permit once he arrives in the DR, or is he allowed to carry due to his occupation in the US?

I once read during the time when airplanes were being hijacked to Cuba on a semiregular basis a serious proposal that all military officers even retired ones and all police officers should be required to carry arms on any flight for the protection of the flight.
Der Fish

Jan 9, 2004

Unless traveling on official government business as a State Trooper, coordinated and approved by both countries....he cannot legally bring a weapon into the country.

There are exceptions....but none based on this set of facts.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I personally hope it's not permitted. I would assume your friend would have to be traveling in some sort of official capacity to get permission. If he isn't coming on official business, I have to wonder why he would be asking about bringing a firearm. It sounds like a bad situation could unfold. Good luck.

Feb 7, 2007
He might be able to bring it in, he for sure won't be able to bring it back. Unless of course that is the plan.

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012
The Second Amendment does not apply in the DR.

Unless his visit was official and liaising with Dominican police the fact that he is a cop in the States means diddly squat here and he would be regarded as just a gringo with an illegal unregistered firearm under DR law, were he able to get it into the country.

Buzz104

Apr 5, 2014
Unfortunately your friend is not permitted to transport nor carry a firearm in the Dominican Republic. U.S. law enforcement officials operating in the Dominican Republic carry under diplomatic and mutual provisions underlined by the Dept of State. U.S. law enforcement has a fairly large presence here, however local and state law enforcement do not. If your friend wants to carry his service weapon on vacation in the Caribbean, I would suggest Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The above have said it all..
Tourist with firearm? Jail
State trooper as a tourist with firearm? Jail
Like my brother CCCCC has said: "A Pi$$$$$$ poor idea" and I will add: From start to finish.

Cordially,

HB

Buzz104

Apr 5, 2014
Getting into any type of self defense or use of force incident in this country will only get you into trouble, regardless of the situation. As a tourist you will always be in the wrong "no exceptions"!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Good grief, you guys get worked up over nothing. He has carried his gun where ever he goes for 25 years without incident. When he comes, I knew he would ask if he could carry, so I thought I would ask. There is no shoot out planned, nor did he plan to flash his gun around the country. It was just a simple question.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It may be a simple question you're asking, but coming on vacation and the concern is whether he can carry a gun? Good grief!

Buzz104

Apr 5, 2014
Good grief, you guys get worked up over nothing. He has carried his gun where ever he goes for 25 years without incident. When he comes, I knew he would ask if he could carry, so I thought I would ask. There is no shoot out planned, nor did he plan to flash his gun around the country. It was just a simple question.

I've carried my service weapon around the globe for 10 years without incident, I was only trying to help with the facts.

I've had this question asked several times by friends and the sort, its always nice to travel with that little extra protect.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Where ever" does not include the DR or many other places...probably England and Australia...Russia?? Sorry but I doubt this.

HB

Word of Caution: "Unless they know someone!!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
He should know about his ability to cary his gun on a plane. And I hope he has no reason to have a gun and be a cop in the DR.

Why would you bother typing a non-answer?

I know what the procedures are for flying with a firearm, but I was wondering if anyone had any recent, practical, real world DR experience as a law enforcement officer, flying into the country.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I've carried my service weapon around the globe for 10 years without incident, I was only trying to help with the facts.

I've had this question asked several times by friends and the sort, its always nice to travel with that little extra protect.

Buzz you offered helpful advice. Most like to come up with a clever answer rather than something constructive. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.