Violence

Micherie

Jun 29, 2016
Among my Dominican friends on Facebook there seems to be quite a lot of passing around of YouTube videos depicting violence among Dominicans... men (and especially) women beating the crap out of each other in the streets. What's up with that? Are y'all so firey that you'd rather throw down than talk it out? lol I've asked my friends and they just laugh and say, "Loco."

- curiosities from one passive American

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Among my Dominican friends on Facebook there seems to be quite a lot of passing around of YouTube videos depicting violence among Dominicans... men (and especially) women beating the crap out of each other in the streets. What's up with that? Are y'all so firey that you'd rather throw down than talk it out? lol I've asked my friends and they just laugh and say, "Loco."

Yes, I get a lot of that too.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Why don't you ask your "dominican friends"?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Among my American friends on Facebook there seems to be quite a lot of passing around of YouTube videos depicting violence among Americans... men (and especially) women beating the crap out of each other in the streets. What's up with that? Are y'all so firey that you'd rather throw down than talk it out? lol I've asked my friends and they just laugh and say, "Crazy."

- curiosities from one passive Latino

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Interestingly i see more videos of violence and bullying in american high schools on facebook than dominican ones. Actually, the american videos tend to be far worse.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I've seen some of those videos. Life in the barrios is rough. These are poor people that are struggling to get by. A lot of people living in very close quarters in very small houses/shacks with dogs barking all day and night and neighbors blasting their music at all hours. Add to that frequent power outages, no water, flies, mosquitoes, rats, and heat and you've got an environment that's ripe for disputes to escalate rapidly into violence.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I've seen some of those videos. Life in the barrios is rough. These are poor people that are struggling to get by. A lot of people living in very close quarters in very small houses/shacks with dogs barking all day and night and neighbors blasting their music at all hours. Add to that frequent power outages, no water, flies, mosquitoes, rats, and heat and you've got an environment that's ripe for disputes to escalate rapidly into violence.

Add Hungry you have a killer ..... :(

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Add Hungry you have a killer ..... :(

I know of one incident not too long ago where a guy lost 300 pesos playing dominoes and refused to pay up and the other guy attacked him with a machete. Can't remember if he killed him, but life here isn't worth too much.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

It's for the makeup sex.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
In my experience Dominicans are MUCH less likely to come to blows than Americans. They will often times get in each others face and yell and scream at each other and in the states you just wonder who is going to throw the first punch but here more often than not they turn around and walk away.
Yes, I know there are the exceptions where some idiot pulls out a pistol or gets a machete but maybe that would happen less if they released their hostilities with a simple fist fight.

Aug 6, 2006
I remember a fight I saw in Barahona, near the colmado where I was having a Bohemia one afternoon. Two women were yelling ?puta! at each other for about half an hour, apparently because the younger one seems to have seduced the older one's marido. They flailed about a lot, but with only a few slaps. They were really loud and a crowd gathered.
Then the marido appeared and the older woman whacked him, and the younger one slapped her pretty hard. Then the older woman announced the right to slug el marido because he was HER marido and that gave her the right. Finally, the marido slugged wifey and of course everyone was screaming. A couple of resident dogs decided to get into a fight with each other as well. Finally the PN arrived and hauled off el marido, who got into the cop car with both women yelling at him.
After a couple of minutes and some threats being hurled by both sides, the older woman walked away and the younger one climbed on a motoconcho and rode off in the opposite direction.

Someone explained to me that yesterday was payday for el marido and he had come home sin un chin de dinero. There was speculation that there might have been a third woman who actually got the money.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
YouTube videos depicting violence among Dominicans... men (and especially)
women beating the crap out of each other in the streets.

Probably just fight videos being made by Dominicans in "da Bronx"...
in that case, just a bunch of idiot New Yorkers being idiot New Yorkers
and nothing to do with the reality of life down here... thank god.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Absence of intelligence to solve problems through discussion.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
What class of responsible professionally employed adults would be posting garbage like this on Facebook. I think our new friend has Barrio fever

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
What class of responsible professionally employed adults would be posting garbage like this on Facebook. I think our new friend has Barrio fever

FB has plenty of garbage posts even by people I have as friends.

FB is vanity with a capital V.

I wonder what some did before the attention driven FB showed up? Yeah, don't mention Myspace!!!!!! lol

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Among my American friends on Facebook there seems to be quite a lot of passing around of YouTube videos depicting violence among Americans... men (and especially) women beating the crap out of each other in the streets. What's up with that? Are y'all so firey that you'd rather throw down than talk it out? lol I've asked my friends and they just laugh and say, "Crazy."

- curiosities from one passive Latino
Eso gringo... jesuuuu. lol