NetTalk Duo

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We see many different alternatives for connecting to the states without international charges.

In our situation, we need a US number that rings in the DR. So eight years ago we bought a NetTalk Duo unit, plugged it into our router via ethernet, plug a standard phone into it and have had excellent service for around US$35 a year, unlimited calling to and from the states. We can take it with us when traveling if we want, plugging it into a computer connected to the innerweb.

After eight years, our unit finally blinked it's last. A call to NetTalk, and a replacement is on it's way. Even though NetTalk now has a wifi unit, the ethernet replacement was free so we went with it. If buying for the first time, I'd have opted for the wifi unit, around US$25 with shipping.

Solid unit, solid call quality (when 2.5mb+ bandwidth present) and solid customer service.

Certainly there are other alternatives, but NetTalk has proven itself for 8 years of consistent use. The weak link is Claro, but that's a different thread.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i use google voice on my android cell phone with hangout app and have been very satisfied for many years. I pay zero $$ because the service is free and call quality is excellent. No matter where I go, I have my american number with me and all calls from usa are free to my cell on google voice number. I just don't know why people insist upon paying for a service which is actually given out for free for so many years. cobraboy, let me know if you need help configuring it to your cell phone. I even have a hard box (linksys pap2) configured to google voice and I also get google voice calls directed to my hard line at home.
AZB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
i use google voice on my android cell phone with hangout app and have been very satisfied for many years. I pay zero $$ because the service is free and call quality is excellent. No matter where I go, I have my american number with me and all calls from usa are free to my cell on google voice number. I just don't know why people insist upon paying for a service which is actually given out for free for so many years. cobraboy, let me know if you need help configuring it to your cell phone. I even have a hard box (linksys pap2) configured to google voice and I also get google voice calls directed to my hard line at home.
AZB
I don't have data on my cell and won't into the future.

The NetTalk serves all of us in the house, including guests, like a "regular" phone with extensions in different rooms.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I tried the NetTalk wi-fi unit a few years ago.

Spent a lot of time with Tech support.
Bottom line, nothing but trouble, never did work properly, then Tech support kinda became hard to get in contact with.

Being in the D.R., it was not work trying to return it.

I have a regular Net-Talk unit in the D.R. and sometimes it has problems.
The NetTalk unit I use in the States seems to always be working.

Like I could not call my brother's cell phone anymore for about 2 weeks. Even though it had been working days before. For a while the NetTalk disconnected after a few minutes of talking, but currently seems okay.

I also use Google with OBi200, most of the times it works, but like anything else, there are times it gives me problems also. (Be sure to set your DNS servers, as Claro has a tendency to block if you are using theirs).

NetTalk advises that theirs only work on their approved list of routers, so beware of that also.

As you said, the weak link is Claro.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
As you said, the weak link is Claro.
That is indeed the problem.

Heck, I get DNS issues with Claro here and have no other choices.

Supposedly fiber from La Vega is being installed and that *should* fix the poor bandwidth problems.

And my router, a Zyxel, is on neither list...

Last edited: