Do overstay fees apply after tourist card expires? Or for total stay?

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
I was recently charged 4000 pesos at immigration leaving Santiago airport. That is supposedly for 3 to 9 months overstay. My entry stamp to the DR was May 28th. And my exit date is Sept 3. Technically if the tourist card is good for 30 days, my overstay should be less than 90 days, correct?. Disregarding the tourist card, I over stayed the 1 - 3 month fees (2500 pesos ) by 8 days. Which is 98 days total stay. So my question is when does immigration begin to assess overstay fees? Anf if I was ripped off do I have any recourse or chalk it up as a lesson learned?
For some reason I thought overstay fees started the 1st day after the tourist card expires.

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you stay beyond 30 days the fee is calculated from day one. So if you are over by 61 days you actually are over by 91 days.
Bob K

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The last time this question was addressed, the thread went on for pages with some taking great umbrage at losing the 30 days they felt they paid for when buying the tourist card. Thus far, there is still hope for a short and concise thread.

A mentioned, if you enter on a tourist card and leave on day 31 or later, your length of stay for the purpose of calculating the exit "fee" starts on the day you entered the country, not first day after your tourist card expires.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
There is the temptation to think of the tourist card as a Get Out of Jail Free card, but it's not. It is basically just an extra piece of paper to go with your passport stamp that says you arrived. So think of it that way: like the legend on a a map that says You Are Here. It doesn't grant you anything and it doesn't buy you anything. Not even time.

samorr22

Aug 31, 2016
Quick question on this topic. If I overstay and pay the fee can I enter the country again straight after or do I need to stay away for a period of time?

And one follow up. If I leave and enter the country every 30 days do I simply pay the 10$ tourist card each time? Or does there need to be a specific period of time between visits?

Thanks!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You pay the exit fee when you are leaving, so yes you have to leave the country. I believe you can return to the DR 24 hours later. Yes you will have to purchase another tourist card for the privilege of being here up to 30 more days.

If you leave within 30 days of arrival, no exit fee and just a new tourist card the next time you enter the country at an airport. Entry/processing fees may be different at land crossings. I don't know for sure.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Quick question on this topic. If I overstay and pay the fee can I enter the country again straight after or do I need to stay away for a period of time?

And one follow up. If I leave and enter the country every 30 days do I simply pay the 10$ tourist card each time? Or does there need to be a specific period of time between visits?

Thanks!

Good question but if you plan on going to Haiti evey month and coming right back I think they would catch on.

Try it let us know.

samorr22

Aug 31, 2016
hahahaha I am pretty sure that wouldn't work but I am planning on going to the states a few times while I am staying in DR for 6 months. And wondering if I should go once a month or not really.

samorr22

Aug 31, 2016
You pay the exit fee when you are leaving, so yes you have to leave the country. I believe you can return to the DR 24 hours later. Yes you will have to purchase another tourist card for the privilege of being here up to 30 more days.

If you leave within 30 days of arrival, no exit fee and just a new tourist card the next time you enter the country at an airport. Entry/processing fees may be different at land crossings. I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I would leave of course just making sure I don't have any issues getting back in when I return. Cheers.