Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dichos, refranes y expresiones

Moderator 📚 Español
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dichos, refranes y expresiones

Do you use a lot of expressions when you speak Spanish? Just to clarify I don’t mean slang. This thread is not about slang. It is about using dichos, refranes, idioms or even slogans when you speak and write in Spanish.

Yesterday, I was in an amazing atmosphere -Latin music, food, dance and I saw many people wearing their Panamanian soccer jerseys in support of Panama and a Panamanian band that was about to play.

I looked up the cost of the jersey today and in the description of the jersey it says the slogan is printed on the inside of it and it is Alcanzamos por fin la victoria. I thought wow that is so powerful and made me realize they came a long way to just even qualify for the World Cup.

I use a lot expressions when I speak but I think it’s because people around me since I was a child did so it became part of my speech.

What expressions do you use in Spanish? Where did you learn them or hear them?

-MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 07-08-2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Proofreading

Leer es crecer- Lee un buen libro este verano
    Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely use dichos, refranes and idioms because until a year ago my written and verbal communication was entirely in English. However, I do hear quite few of them daily living full-time in Santo Domingo. Two that I remember from my grandmother's time are, "Una cosa piensa el burro, otra quien lo esta' aparenjando" and "El que tiene mas saliva come mas ojadra"

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Tu estas sangriando de tu nariz - your flies are open
    La chiva esta amarada - all is sorted
    Estoy feliz como un lombri - happy as a pig in sh*t

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

4. Likes mofongoloco, RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Moderator 📚 Español
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2dlight View Post
    I rarely use dichos, refranes and idioms because until a year ago my written and verbal communication was entirely in English. However, I do hear quite few of them daily living full-time in Santo Domingo. Two that I remember from my grandmother's time are, "Una cosa piensa el burro, otra quien lo esta' aparenjando" and "El que tiene mas saliva come mas ojadra"

Yes, it’s all about exposure. However, you probably know more than you realize. As well, some sayings are local and others are very universal in the Spanish-speaking 🌍.

-MP.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Moderator 📚 Español
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Tu estas sangriando de tu nariz - your flies are open
    La chiva esta amarada - all is sorted
    Estoy feliz como un lombri - happy as a pig in sh*t

Matilda

Those are quite local except the last one.

BTW- the verb is sangrar and gerund is sangrando. As well, it’s una lombriz although in the DR vernacular you will hear otherwise.

-MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 07-08-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Moderator 📚 Español
    Post Thanks / Like

Ones I use on a regular basis I guess because the scenario fits are:

Ojos que no ven corazón que no siente

Más vale pájaro en mano que cien volando

Ver es creer

Cuando las barbas de tu vecino veas pelar pon las tuyas a remojar

Trata a los demás como quieres que te traten a ti

El que ríe ultimo ríe mejor

.....almost daily I say these refranes.

-MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 08-08-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Typo

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

one i absolutely love and use daily is "lo barato sale caro". very relevant in dominican living, i think. sometimes it is better to pay for something a lot of money once rather than repeat smaller payments indefinitely because it is badly done.

i also like "eso no tiene madre", something i hear often now. i first saw it on hipolito's presidential propaganda posters. once when miesposo was talking about the government of hipolito i responded with sarcastic: "no tiramos piedras al pasado" which caused him to laugh like a maniac.

years ago there were huge posters all over puerto plata saying "el gobierno trabajando, puerto plata progresando". "pero lento", someone added below in black spray paint, ha ha ha.

another one i use often is "cuando el gato no esta, los ratones hacen fiesta" (very universal across languages).

very dominican expression that i use every weekend is "hoy se bebe". i do not even drink but i like to see the reaction in otherwise professional environment when i say it. for example yesterday i had to go to the emergency to get a tetanus shot and upon leaving i said "gracias, pasa buen fin de semana, hoy se bebe" and it put a huge smile on everyone's face.

i always enjoy political season because the slogans can be quite unintentionally puckish. there was testicles montas (yes, i know his name is temistocles but just look at his face) with his "TEMO PRESIDENTE" and one guy in santiago with a slogan "PARA GANAR" which always made me giggle.

North Coast Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Camaron que se duerme se lo lleva la corriente - equivalent to "the early bird catches the worm"
    Es más la sal que el chivo - something like "it's not worth it" or "more trouble than it's worth"
    Cría cuervos y te sacarán los ojos - reminds me of "how sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child" in King Lear. Cría cuervos is also the title of a classic Spanish film from the 1970s.
    No hay mal que dure cien años - nothing lasts forever
    Bicho malo nunca muere/hierba mala nunca muere - sort of like "only the good die young"
    Como el primer guandul - similar to "full of beans"

We made a couple of lists of specifically food-related expressions in Spanish for the cooking blog:
    https://www.dominicancooking.com/181...n-spanish.html
    https://www.dominicancooking.com/185...n-spanish.html
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

new phrase i saw last week in local media: "más ebrio que una uva". new for me, that is.

North Coast Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8
    new phrase i saw last week in local media: "más ebrio que una uva". new for me, that is.
    Translation: "P!ssed as a newt".

En casa de herrero cuchillo de palo - equivalent to "the shoemaker's son always goes barefoot"
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast