Clams/ mussels in Sosua/Puerto Plata area

danytravel

Sep 14, 2010
Hi All, I cannot complain much with the food we can find in the area. A lot of different choices.. One thing I could not find yet are fresh clam and mussels.. I have never seen them in Super Pola ( where there is a fresh seafood section) or any other place.
Anyone?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
colder water creatures, these ones....

oysters happen by but I'm not a fan ..
even the warm water lobster gets the snub by me....

need colder water, IMO

You can buy frozen clams at Playero

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
There are guys walking along the beach and selling fresh mussels.

danytravel

Sep 14, 2010
There are guys walking along the beach and selling fresh mussels.

Yes but who knows how fresh and good those mussels are. I see guys wlaking with a fish on a pole under the sun the whole day thinking it is fresh...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Eating fresh oysters sold on the beaches at Cabarete, Nagua and on the beaches of Las Terrenas have been one pf the joys of beach life in DR. The oysters they guys sell on the beach in Nagua are slightly larger and they serve them form a bucket with ice with lemon or a mixed hot sauce and prise open in front of you. They are harvested daily fresh and sold by the beach vendors who walk the beach.

Being small the flavor is pronounced........eaten so many and never a hint of jiffy stomach.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Eating fresh oysters sold on the beaches at Cabarete, Nagua and on the beaches of Las Terrenas have been one pf the joys of beach life in DR. The oysters they guys sell on the beach in Nagua are slightly larger and they serve them form a bucket with ice with lemon or a mixed hot sauce and prise open in front of you. They are harvested daily fresh and sold by the beach vendors who walk the beach.

Being small the flavor is pronounced........eaten so many and never a hint of jiffy stomach.

My wife and I also find them quite tasty. I also love the price. He shucks them as fast as you can slurp them down and is also a fairly nice guy. We share our Presidente with him, and he shares his catch with us at a very cheap price. We must have eaten five dozen or so of the little critters before we were done. He asked for 250 pesos. I gave him 400 and thanked him. then he gave us a cup of esalada de lambi. Nice guy.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My wife and I also find them quite tasty. I also love the price. He shucks them as fast as you can slurp them down and is also a fairly nice guy. We share our Presidente with him, and he shares his catch with us at a very cheap price. We must have eaten five dozen or so of the little critters before we were done. He asked for 250 pesos. I gave him 400 and thanked him. then he gave us a cup of esalada de lambi. Nice guy.

Real cheap was my recollection too especially in Nagua. 200Rd and you're done. Same guys walking the beach selling.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I wouldn't. I hosted a birthday party for myself last November, and I spent 2 days with a bad, bad oyster. Serves me right for violating Mosaic food laws.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I wouldn't. I hosted a birthday party for myself last November, and I spent 2 days with a bad, bad oyster. Serves me right for violating Mosaic food laws.

And on your birthday too.. That's not good at all. Oysters must be alive when opened if eaten raw. the liquid that surrounds them must be clear and not milky or whitish. Also you can smell them if they are bad. Anything other than a saltwater smell, and I'm not touching them. I know people are against eating Oysters but then you can also get bad eggs, milk from the stores and even bad vegetables and fruits and other meats too. If you know what you are looking for with Oysters as most people do with these other items, then you never have an issue and they are truly delicious.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Yes it does, what were you thinking?
.. my ex long time GF , nice jewish girl used to cringe when I ate shellfish. Not even TUNA ( or was it swordfish? i forget now) was on the menu for her.
Something about lack of Scales...?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are guys selling clams at south coast beaches, so I'm surprised they aren't on the north coast too

I always buy some and they open them in front of me. A bit of limon and delicious raw.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There are guys selling clams at south coast beaches, so I'm surprised they aren't on the north coast too

I always buy some and they open them in front of me. A bit of limon and delicious raw.

My vague recollection is that I have been offered small clams in Nagua but deferred to the oysters.

More I think of it ...Najayo....south coast

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes but who knows how fresh and good those mussels are. I see guys wlaking with a fish on a pole under the sun the whole day thinking it is fresh...

If they're closed they're alive and should be good. IMO

I agree about the fish though.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Clamps

If they're closed they're alive and should be good. IMO

I agree about the fish though.
Local oysters can be good. The difference between the lesser and the better ones is where they were harvested. They are harvested in mangrove areas. They are harvested in areas where sweetwater meets saltwater. The oysters that are harvested in an area where the saltwater prevails over the sweet water are better than the oysters that grew in an area where there is more sweetwater than saltwater.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know about the frozen clams but I was wondering if it is possible to find fresh ones...

After 13 years of being in the DR, I have not seen one fresh clam (or mussel). Two words: Cape Cod.
I would rather eat clams than oysters any day.

We have conch,small crab, octopus, and a poor excuse for lobster along with the various native fish.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After 13 years of being in the DR, I have not seen one fresh clam (or mussel).

Interesting. I wonder if there is a reason that there are clams in the Caribbean and not in the Atlantic? They're available daily at Playa Nayajo and Playa Palenque in San Cristobal province, that I can swear to.

web

Nov 5, 2005

you can get a dozen en malecon Puerto plata for 50 pesos...I wont buy from the old guy in Sosua he asks too much and who knows how long they have been in his basket, I have never seen him sell any