viva phone company getting 4G lte

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Good news for viva customers. Viva will be starting 4G LTE service within 2 months. My source tells me they will be using claro's LTE frequency band 4 (1700/2100).
They should have complete coverage throughout major cities in DR. Their system is being installed as we speak. remember: viva doesn't even have 3G in this country.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
I knew about this as a friend of mine is one of the top executives at Aster (also a Telemicro company).

So according to Aftab's post, it seems they will be using the band that is only used in Americas, that means only a small number of phones is compatible with it. Orange uses the band (1800 Mhz) that all phone manufacturers support by default. I will just wait out Orange 4G LTE deployment in Higuey then, which Viva's deployment may force them to just go about faster.

Feb 7, 2007
A few years behind their competitors.

Who knows, maybe the "change of administration" will help with the things ... remember, Viva is now part of Telemicro.

Btw any advancement even at a smaller carrier is good, as it usually forces the bigger carriers to react. Goes for telco as for the airlines. Phone services (minues, data, etc.) are very expensive in the DR compared to Europe or USA, or even Colombia (where for 10 dollars on a prepaid line I got several Gigs of data, 100 minutes and 100 text messages - with contract plans being even cheaper). In the DR, the prepaid minutes cost you around 8 pesos or even more (when calling off-network).

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Viva has better customer service than Claro, too bad the old owner didnt realized that they had the oportunity to go to the top but they didnt make the investment necesary for that. I have Claro and sometimes I ask myself if they are giving me real 4G LTE, lots of time doesnt look like they do, Since Codetel was taking for Mexicans and became in Claro with Mexican owner their quality in general went down from 100% to 20% if we make a comparation between the old and new owners.

Im waitting they have the 4G to comeback to VIVA, they just need faster internet speed and install some more antenas in the roads and Im sure claro its going to shake.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Another good thing is the the equiment provider for VIVA is Cisco, the same company that was using Codetel for Data services, Mexicans from Claro and French from Tricom and Orange they are using Huawei Chinees equipment.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A bit off topic, but we switched to Viva for TV this year, and had absolutely no complaints. Claro phone and internet [on phone] were terrible this year, I'd be open to switching.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Is Viva cheaper? I see several people with them in Moca

Yes they have better prices, also their plans you have the option to have 12 months contract and has really cheap rent and another option little more expensive but you can cancel without penalty any time you want. Hope this new administration keep that.

They just need faster internet and more coverge still some areas they dont have service and in some roads also missing coverage.