Microchip for dogs

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Hi, i will buy several Mini Microchips for my dogs. If someone needs one too just let me know i will order more.
I am paying 9.90 Euros per Chip plus SH.
Returning to DR in one month and i will bring the Microchips.
I can order Mini Microchips for tiny dogs like Chihuahuas and the normal size.
It is no business for me, i will charge the same price i pay. I got asked so many times where to get
the Microchips.... The Vet can insert the chip.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anyone know a vet with a chip reader outside of maybe a large city? How about the rescue groups that pickup random dogs for sterilization or vaccination procedures - do they routinely scan for a chip?

POP_DR

May 29, 2016
I've had dogs during all my 13 years in Puerto Plata and I have never met a vet here that has a chip reader, as it is not common here at all to use it on animals. I guess it is the same all over the island?

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Most of the rescue groups in DR have a chip reader.
I know people who left their dogs behind when they travel because they are not chipped because in their home country
it is a must to have them chipped.
I will get my dogs chipped, the blood serum i will send to an authorized Lab to get the Titer determined etc... The reason is
i never ever will leave my dogs behind. My parents got sick, i had to travel and i only can say i miss my babies ever day.
I had very nice people to take care of my babies but for the future i would prefer to taken them with me. Usually
to get all paper work done it takes some time and i just want to prepare.

Also i wasn't aware that there are mini Microchips available for tiny dogs. :) The Microchip is inserted in the neck area.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have never met a vet here that has a chip reader, as it is not common here at all to use it on animals. I guess it is the same all over the island?

That is the point I was trying to make. By all means put a chip in your dog(s). It's a responsible thing to do and not all that expensive. Just be aware that if Fido runs away, the chances of anyone scanning it for a microchip to determine ownership is remote. The chances of anyone having enough minutes to call to a North American pet info database company is even slimmer. If you ever wish to prove the dog is yours, having your own scanner might be a good idea as finding one close-by here might prove challenging.

Most of the rescue groups in DR have a chip reader.

I would say that statement is a stretch. Some groups may have a reader but not "most". The reason, people don't chip their dogs here. The chips are not available for purchase here. Most Dominican vets do not have the correct tool to insert a microchip, because there are no chips here. Rescue groups could scan every dog they come in contact with and never find a chip. So "most" groups don't scan the dogs and see no reason to have a scanner that they wouldn't use anyways.

I'm not telling you not to chip your dog. Back home, all of my dogs were chipped. Here doing so is of little practical value. As an owner it may make you feel better, but the chances of a chip getting your lost pet back to you is really small. A metal collar tag indicating a cash reward for the animal if found is much more effective. My dogs have tags in Spanish offering $500 USD to anyone who finds my dog and calls me. I also have taken excessively extreme measures to ensure that my pets stay on my property unless I purposefully let them out to reduce the stray cat population in the neighborhood.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I agreed with our vet in CT that the dog should get a chip before coming to the DR to live. While it wasn't superfluous advice, it turned out to be a little extraneous. None of the vets or animal assistance groups with which I am familiar have chip readers. As far as I know, when groups like AAAS do their street dog missions with World Vets, they don't chip the dogs or cats; they tattoo the inside of an ear.

My dog lived at first behind a wall, and now is a totally walked dog. He is never, ever off the leash outside. I am not at all sentimental about animals; you will never catch me calling this one "my baby." He is a dog. Period. I take care of him, and I would prefer him not to get lost. But is the chip going to be a big help? Probably not.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
But is the chip going to be a big help? Probably not.

Yes it is a big help, when you travel and your home country requires it that the dog has to be chipped.
The chip is only needed when someone travels with their dogs or cats to certain countries.
In DR it is not needed.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Yes it is a big help, when you travel and your home country requires it that the dog has to be chipped.
The chip is only needed when someone travels with their dogs or cats to certain countries.
In DR it is not needed.

Which is why I said it was superfluous. The dog & I are not going to Paris any time soon.

POP_DR

May 29, 2016
In DR it is not needed.

This was my point, in DR it is not needed as the vets don't have readers.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I agreed with our vet in CT that the dog should get a chip before coming to the DR to live. While it wasn't superfluous advice, it turned out to be a little extraneous. None of the vets or animal assistance groups with which I am familiar have chip readers. As far as I know, when groups like AAAS do their street dog missions with World Vets, they don't chip the dogs or cats; they tattoo the inside of an ear.

My dog lived at first behind a wall, and now is a totally walked dog. He is never, ever off the leash outside. I am not at all sentimental about animals; you will never catch me calling this one "my baby." He is a dog. Period. I take care of him, and I would prefer him not to get lost. But is the chip going to be a big help? Probably not.

how sad ...he is a dog period

deepdiver

Jun 18, 2011
chip reader

I've had dogs during all my 13 years in Puerto Plata and I have never met a vet here that has a chip reader, as it is not common here at all to use it on animals. I guess it is the same all over the island?

well Dr Bob has one

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
how sad ...he is a dog period

Sorry. My inner grammar-bitch cannot let this go by. He is a dog. Period. Without appropriate punctuation, he is some sort of canine menstrual event, which is just too sick-making to contemplate.

So, despite my perhaps nanny-ish tone: thank me.

Yes. Severino is a dog. Period.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Can I put one in my dog and program him to stop digging up my garden?

Or maybe bluetooth him to my phone so I can control him like some sort of canine drone? Now that would be cool.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Can I put one in my dog and program him to stop digging up my garden?

Or maybe bluetooth him to my phone so I can control him like some sort of canine drone? Now that would be cool.

LOL for sure there is already something on the market which would fit your description....lol an app to control your dog LOL
but instead stopping him digging in the garden, use his special gift "digging" and convert your garden in a self sufficient garden
as soon a hole is digged, plant some veggies in this fresh loose soil :))))))).

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I realize this is an old thread - just checking if anyone knows of any vet that is able to put in the chip? Near POP preferred but whole island is possible... Thanks!