Jacqueline Montero....Deputy

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The newly elected Deputy for Haina is indeed a story in the making.

I posted the articles below in another thread to confirm that there is a now a representative in government that understands from personal experience the unhappy life of a woman working in prostitution and is out to do something about it. It was clearly not appropriate to discuss the reasons for prostitution in the other thread and got a bit personal, but one or two posters are confident they know the reasons and are happy for the continuation of open prostitution in a resort town at deference to the general community, community associations, the mayor, the tourism ministry and the police. So it is worth trying to enlighten a bit more about this lady.

http://hoy.com.do/jacqueline-montero-la-ex-prostituta-que-espera-revolucionar-el-congreso-de-rd/ http://acento.com.do/2016/politica/...anuncia-proyecto-ley-prevenir-trabajo-sexual/

The newly elected congresswoman has been outspoken since her election not only about helping her constituents in one of the poorer barrios of the capital but also proclaims to be a representative for the whole country when it comes to issues affecting women.

A couple of days back she gave an interview to El Dia.

http://eldia.com.do/547816-2/

I think it merits translating (by web) the relevant parts she talks about on prostitution to those who are vociferously against change in the tourist towns and the elimination of in your face prostitution:

Montero also promises to submit, with modifications, the draft law that would create a zone of tolerance for prostitution, but noting that "instead of zona rosa, they need the female sex workers are training centers so as to leave that life; child care for their children and hospitals for their medical check-ups carried out".

It will also support and motivate the draft law of equality and non-discrimination, which will submit the National Council for HIV and AIDS (Conavihsida) to the National Congress.

Attention to women

Montero, who heads the movement of women United (Modemu), reported that 5% of 6,600 members of that body sex workers suffer from the Virus of human immunodeficiency (HIV), while 80% are addicted to drugs such as cocaine and marijuana.

"It is a terrible thing, but we work with love. "The Government not makes nothing by help them, because nothing more wants to accompany us for them demos them votes", is regretted Montero.

Explained that the country is punto of lose it helps international that receives of the Fund World of fight against the HIV / AIDS, for buy them medicines to those patients, because the Government not has met with the agreement of cover the 60% of the expenses.

"An agreement between the Global Fund and the State was made that 60% will cover the G cutbacks in Government and they 40%, up to this moment we are fighting so that State complies with its 60." It is putting part, is entering the game, but it is not complete, that is forcing the Fund to withdraw", he said.

Trust, however, that with the home of the new Government come changes and already as member can meet is with them authorities responsible of that theme to request help.

Explained that in Dominican Republic there are registered 200 thousand working sexual and that from Modemu work with the program "reduction of damages" to minimize the consumption of cocaine in those women and that thanks to those talks is have reduced them diseases of transmission sexual.

"Are insisting in the training and are going to give talks to them business, doing raise in the reduction of damage for them drugs, because is the greater problem that have now", says.

'' That they believe that sex workers have a joyful life, should remove them this idea, because it is a very sad life, because no one wants to be with a stranger or a person who does not like him,"Montero said.

I think this should be a wake up call to tourist mongers albeit I don't expect anything other than abuse, distortion and weak humor from them.

Not only that, I would sincerely hope that the community associations and charities in the resort towns mentioned in other threads reach out to this remarkable woman and her organization to help in tackling a problem that is so open and boasted about that something needs to happen.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The newly elected Deputy for Haina is indeed a story in the making.

I posted the articles below in another thread to confirm that there is a now a representative in government that understands from personal experience the unhappy life of a woman working in prostitution and is out to do something about it. It was clearly not appropriate to discuss the reasons for prostitution in the other thread and got a bit personal, but one or two posters are confident they know the reasons and are happy for the continuation of open prostitution in a resort town at deference to the general community, community associations, the mayor, the tourism ministry and the police. So it is worth trying to enlighten a bit more about this lady.

http://hoy.com.do/jacqueline-montero-la-ex-prostituta-que-espera-revolucionar-el-congreso-de-rd/ http://acento.com.do/2016/politica/...anuncia-proyecto-ley-prevenir-trabajo-sexual/

The newly elected congresswoman has been outspoken since her election not only about helping her constituents in one of the poorer barrios of the capital but also proclaims to be a representative for the whole country when it comes to issues affecting women.

A couple of days back she gave an interview to El Dia.

http://eldia.com.do/547816-2/

I think it merits translating (by web) the relevant parts she talks about on prostitution to those who are vociferously against change in the tourist towns and the elimination of in your face prostitution:

Montero also promises to submit, with modifications, the draft law that would create a zone of tolerance for prostitution, but noting that "instead of zona rosa, they need the female sex workers are training centers so as to leave that life; child care for their children and hospitals for their medical check-ups carried out".

It will also support and motivate the draft law of equality and non-discrimination, which will submit the National Council for HIV and AIDS (Conavihsida) to the National Congress.

Attention to women

Montero, who heads the movement of women United (Modemu), reported that 5% of 6,600 members of that body sex workers suffer from the Virus of human immunodeficiency (HIV), while 80% are addicted to drugs such as cocaine and marijuana.

"It is a terrible thing, but we work with love. "The Government not makes nothing by help them, because nothing more wants to accompany us for them demos them votes", is regretted Montero.

Explained that the country is punto of lose it helps international that receives of the Fund World of fight against the HIV / AIDS, for buy them medicines to those patients, because the Government not has met with the agreement of cover the 60% of the expenses.

"An agreement between the Global Fund and the State was made that 60% will cover the G cutbacks in Government and they 40%, up to this moment we are fighting so that State complies with its 60." It is putting part, is entering the game, but it is not complete, that is forcing the Fund to withdraw", he said.

Trust, however, that with the home of the new Government come changes and already as member can meet is with them authorities responsible of that theme to request help.

Explained that in Dominican Republic there are registered 200 thousand working sexual and that from Modemu work with the program "reduction of damages" to minimize the consumption of cocaine in those women and that thanks to those talks is have reduced them diseases of transmission sexual.

"Are insisting in the training and are going to give talks to them business, doing raise in the reduction of damage for them drugs, because is the greater problem that have now", says.

'' That they believe that sex workers have a joyful life, should remove them this idea, because it is a very sad life, because no one wants to be with a stranger or a person who does not like him,"Montero said.

I think this should be a wake up call to tourist mongers albeit I don't expect anything other than abuse, distortion and weak humor from them.

Not only that, I would sincerely hope that the community associations and charities in the resort towns mentioned in other threads reach out to this remarkable woman and her organization to help in tackling a problem that is so open and boasted about that something needs to happen.

Well said, I could not have said it better.