International Insurance/Cell Phone Question

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Hi All,

I have searched through the forums but was unable to find something specific about this.

My first question is about insurance. The school I will be working at provides 100% Medical Coverage within the DR. This will be very helpful when in the country. However, I am worried about bigger issues (more serious injuries, surgery, etc.) that may come up and I should get done in the US. Also when home on breaks and if I need to go to the doctor back home. Anyone have insurance in the DR AND the US? Every other teacher/American I know that lives there only has the DR insurance (offered through the school) and do not have a secondary insurance as backup in the US. If you do have this, any recommendation of reliable companies to look into that would not cost an arm and leg? Thanks.

My second question relates to my cell phone. I have Sprint as my carrier, but upon moving there am curious if I will need to switch to one of the DR companies/providers, or if someone has experience using Sprint/Verizon, etc to have a plan within the DR and the US (again, when home on breaks, etc.) When I go to the DR shorter term, I have Sprint One World, for unlimited texting and calling, but only up to 1GB of data. Any advice here is appreciated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
www.imglobal.com has packages for people like you.... away for a year or two.

In my case, I am not allowed to stay in the US more than 6 months to maintain validity.
Coverage for me is DR, Canada & USA

Cell Phones
I use T-Mobile
at 20 cents a minute it compares to a DR prepaid plane.
Wi-Fi calling is free, data & messaging unlimited.
I got that tip on here - DR1

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's our main carrier.... in addition to ARS Palic in RD

So far , so good.

Your use seems to be what the poster needs

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
www.imglobal.com has packages for people like you.... away for a year or two.

In my case, I am not allowed to stay in the US more than 6 months to maintain validity.
Coverage for me is DR, Canada & USA

Cell Phones
I use T-Mobile
at 20 cents a minute it compares to a DR prepaid plane.
Wi-Fi calling is free, data & messaging unlimited.
I got that tip on here - DR1

WW, I don't know if you have done this but..if you ask T-Mobile to turn off your Voicemail, you won't get charged for calls
made to your cell phone unless you answer it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Mitch..
doesn't seem like a big savings , if I understand you correctly.

'Unless you answer it' - so that means I save the 20 cents a minute for the message ?

Actually, most of my calls are Wi-Fi calls - no charge.
Unless I get a call when outside the house -- 20 cents, Claro is a bit more , I think.

I try to hold outgoing calls to 'from home' calls.

I keep the RD number because many people have it,
but I am enjoying the freedom (not the nuisance) of two phones and direct NoAmerican contact.

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Thanks! I also just heard back from Sprint, I can do either One World International, or Global Roaming.
One world is unlimited texting and calling and 1GB data per billing cycle (not very much)
and global roaming is unlimited, free data, but is slower. and 20 cents per call.

Will look into verizon and claro as well. Thanks for the IMG global suggestion, they came up in my search but I was unfamiliar with anyone using them-will look into it.