Changing Currency

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
My wife's sister lost her passport, and the new one won't be issued for about two months.

The wife and I are going back to Canada for work.

Where can my wife's sister change currency if she doesn't have her passport?

Thank you all!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
7 pages (at 25 per Page ) of Started Threads since 2011 ? ... that has got to be a Record , even here.

Cambios & Playeros do not require a Passport ID to exchange currency... only the banks & WU do..

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Guys,

Thank you for the information so far.

Can anyone advise where the cambios are located?

Are there any in the Colonial Zone or any of the malls?

Thank you in advance.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I haven't spent much time in San Dom, but in Sosua and other places the money changers walk the streets hollering Chains! Chains!
Der Fish

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Guys,

Thank you for the information so far.

Can anyone advise where the cambios are located?

Are there any in the Colonial Zone or any of the malls?

Thank you in advance.

There are a LOT of them across from the Lottery headquarters in SD. Corner of Churchill/Jimenez Moy? and Independencia. Near Centro de los Heroes

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Doesn't necessarily need to be a cambio... any supermercado will change money, as will your hotel.

Just study up the rate beforehand and wrestle a good exchange from them.

Caribe Express is a good place - clean , safe usually.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Why does it take 2 months to replace a passport? This is the part I don't understand.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OH no...... my mistake.....

thank you , teacher......

but

the real question is about changing money..
passport is under controll

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
are you on the right boat here, Miss Meems?

changing money..........

My boat is docked.

I am not the first to jack a thread. I think the thread has legs, and has gone on to the issue of why one even needs a passport. Check the Magna Carta and Sir Oswald Mosley. Correct me if I am wrong. Sometimes threads evolve.

But I do not understand ---- why/sorry ---- it takes 2 months to replace a passport. I lost mine in the US last fall. I was by my sister on Cape Cod. I called the consul in Boston to check the hours. I drove to Boston. Got new fot. Filled out papers. They said I had to come back to pick it up. Unfortch, the day in question was Yom Kippur. I don't drive, don't drink. don't wear leather shoes, don't eat for 26 hours. So: no.

However, US Dept. of State express mailed new passport to me, the day before my flight.

So: how does it take 2 months to get your passport? The OP seemed like an English speaker. Canada makes you wait 2 mos.? GB-rexit?

Countries usually want you to have passports right away. As a visitor in whatever country, I sort of want proof that I am a citizen of whatever country I am from. I REALLY want to be holding a valid passport.