Book store/ children's books

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
We're going to cabarete this December and would like to buy some spanish children's books. I've been to dr before, but never really saw a bookstore (nor tried looking for one). Where can I find one (preferably Puerto plata region).
Tips on dominican authors or typical dominican stories are also welcome (I'm specifically looking for books for children younger then 4)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a small selection of books in la sirena, including children books. there is also a book store on calle john f. kennedy in the city centre, two corners down from gregorio luperon park.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I do all my Spanish book shopping on line. Managed to get "Buenos Noches, Luna" for the granddaughter of a friend.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I do too, but I really dislike some of them and/or the Spanish translation (usually if it has a lot of English expressions). I also didn't manage to find any books from dominican authors. And as our child is half dominican I would really like to have some dominican classics. We have lots of classics in my mother language (and coubtry) so looking for something typically dominican (not only spanish).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I do too, but I really dislike some of them and/or the Spanish translation (usually if it has a lot of English expressions). I also didn't manage to find any books from dominican authors. And as our child is half dominican I would really like to have some dominican classics. We have lots of classics in my mother language (and coubtry) so looking for something typically dominican (not only spanish).

few ideas can be found here:
http://infantojuvenildominicana.blogspot.com/
not all the books listed are by dominican authors but they have quite a few and you can google the writers to see if the books are available online.
let us know what you liked, i was thinking to buy some stuff for the kids of my SIL so she can read it to them (i only ever use english or polish with her kids and imma gonna stick to that). reviews would be much appreciated.

also check book fair SD info, you may connect with participants and inquire about dominican children literature:
https://es-la.facebook.com/ferilibro/

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have a large selection of Spanish children's books for Chivirico and other foster kids and their favourites are Dr. Seuss and Curious George translated from English and available online from Amazon. Chivirico also has some English versions of Dr. Seuss and reads it in English translating it into Spanish as he knows the Spanish version off by heart - his teachers think he is a genius lol.

Matilda

Aug 21, 2007
Strength for the Journey has a children's library. Although we had many books donated by a publishing house in Spain, the majority of our books were purchased online from Amazon or from Scholastic International Division.

Since we do a story hour with young children, somehow I find it easier to plan lessons using the all time bestseller children's books in Spanish, especially when we want to have a theme related to the book, questions and discussion, and a follow activity, such as art.

Lindsey

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If there are any good children's books in Spanish that were actually written in Spanish, they are far and few between.
When asked what they remember reading as kids, all the literate Spanish speakers I know mention translations of English/US and French authors (Jules Verne, St. Exupery, Louisa May Alcott, etc.).
A couple of authors who wrote for children are Jos? Mart? and Horacio Quiroga but that is a bit like saying Dickens and Kipling to English speakers.
There is no Dahl, CS Lewis or JK Rowling and certainly little of note for younger readers.
On the other hand, Isabel Allende and Carlos Ruiz Zafon have written some good books for older children/young adults.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If there are any good children's books in Spanish that were actually written in Spanish, they are far and few between.

slightly off topic but it comes as a shock to me. there are thousands of great books for kids/teens written in polish. a language of a single nation. to learn that spanish speaking world did not produce the same is a shock indeed.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
there is also a book store on calle john f. kennedy in the city centre, two corners down from gregorio luperon park.
It is called Abraxas. And the street is Calle Juan Bosch. It has not been "Kennedy" for some eight years.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
slightly off topic but it comes as a shock to me. there are thousands of great books for kids/teens written in polish. a language of a single nation. to learn that spanish speaking world did not produce the same is a shock indeed.

For a language with almost half a billion speakers, it's unbelieveable.
Maybe I'll be proved wrong and there are some gems out there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have at home la constitucion dominicana infantil (slightly outdated since the newest change in the constitution that permitted reelection of danilo). it's illustrated and pretty cool. explains the basics of dominican laws. also great for foreigners who struggle with spanish :devious:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The best place in Santo Domingo is Libreria Cuesta on 27 de Febrero/Lincoln
- it has a large selection of children's books in a very child-friendly area with little benches and stools and occasional events.
We used to go there a lot when we lived in SD.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In "calle del sol" Santiago used to be another bookstore. In fact owned by my ex's family. They used to have some literature as well.