Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican *Concrete*

Watching a build going on a half block away. They're pouring the slab on the second floor:

Each batch is:

5 gallons water
    1 wheelbarrow sand
    1 wheelbarrow dirt
    1 bag (94lbs) mortar

No aggregate at all.

I wonder what the rebar schedule is...

This is why I want to shop very carefully for a maestro...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Dirt? I knew it was poor but never imagined dirt in the mix. : the filtration leaks we suffer from in most homes, is it caused by the mix not being shook for uniformity? Always wondered. Is tar paper the best way to seal the roof from filtration? It seems to be a never ending problem.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I could use it in my garden..

The walls are out of plumb an inch for walls ten blocks high. They just do it by eye; no level, no strings. Sure as hell no $20 laser!
    Last edited by PeterInBrat; 09-18-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you post a pic?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The important thing about cement curing, it should be kept wet for at least 7 days to help avoid filtration.

Cement Curing

7. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen the "dirt" component when mixing concrete here. That is a good one. It is bad enough when salty sand is used in the mix.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    The important thing about cement curing, it should be kept wet for at least 7 days to help avoid filtration.

Cement Curing
    What the means is that the concrete has to be kept wet using water constantly for 7 days. I have never seen this done here.

If the water being applied is not constant for 7 days straight, don't bother to water it at all because the proper curing reaction cannot be restarted once it has stopped.. .

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen dirt on a couple builds now, but usually for the perimeter that they lay the first run on. I've only seen real aggregate once in an expensive neighborhood.

I often wonder if the floors are intentionally laid a half bubble off plumb so they drain when mopped. They do it by eye and it shows..

11. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    What the means is that the concrete has to be kept wet using water constantly for 7 days. I have never seen this done here.

If the water being applied is not constant for 7 days straight, don't bother to water it at all because the proper curing reaction cannot be restarted once it has stopped.. .
    I've never seen it done anywhere and I worked on concrete for decades. A 12,000 sq ft flooris poured and within 24 hours there are plumbers and electricians working to put in their part of the building. A building that size goes up one floor every week and if the concrete was maintained wet for the first week it would take twice that long.
    Der Fish

13. Likes RDKNIGHT liked this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast