Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They are putting in sidewalks and gutters in front of my sister in law's house. They had to demo her porch because it crossed the setback right in the way of the sidewalk. I've demoed *real* block walls and they go down much harder than this:

You drop most blocks here onto concrete from a few feet and they shatter. I cracked one just flipping it over.
    Last edited by PeterInBrat; 04-09-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If they are ever exposed to salt , it could have something to do with it ..
    If you ever want to see cinder blocks just completely disintegrate , put some salt water on them.
    I made that mistake , once just once, with some Cinderblock steps that were Icy in the winter . Did not take much salt at all. Crumbled to pieces. Makes one kind of Wonder about the integrity of a Block Foundation if ever exposed to Salt Water flooding .

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    They are putting in sidewalks and gutters in front of my sister in law's house. They had to demo her porch because it crossed the setback right in the way of the sidewalk. I've demoed *real* block walls and they go down much harder than this:

You drop most blocks here onto concrete from a few feet and they shatter. I cracked one just flipping it over.
    Was there rebar in that wall? I didn't see any...

Most newer construction I've seen, well in our neighborhood anyway, has reinforced comcrete columns on corners and in the interior. The concrete blocks are non-load-bearing walls with wide-spaced rebar just to keep them from falling from any horizontal forces. The columns support the second floor concrete floors, and then are "textures into the concrete block walls.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Its very sad but actually quite silly to analyze this. We know whats really happening here. Combination of no brains, no inspections, no laws, no concern whether if crumbles to the ground and kills families.

5. Likes spmc liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point about no rebar, and all blocks are not created equal. They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and the better ones are often stamped with the manufacturers name on them. Like everything else, you get what you pay for.

It's one reason that we use the maestro we do. We do all the buying of building supplies, and have it delivered. He provides the crew. That way we control the quality.

Admin
    DR1.com

7. Likes cobraboy, beachcomber, RG84 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    Its very sad but actually quite silly to analyze this. We know whats really happening here. Combination of no brains, no inspections, no laws, no concern whether if crumbles to the ground and kills families.
    I was seriously considering purchasing a townhome end unit in a Luperon. I've bought and restored a few houses over the years and always look for the obvious and not so obvious signs of poor construction. Just by eyeballing the home, I could see the main exterior side wall, the biggest wall in the unit, was way off plumb. Floors were not level, walls were showing signs of severe cracking in the pinyata. Holes were dug in the ground around the property where it was evident they were used to mix cement. Long story short. I didn't buy it and within two years the end unit had major structural problems and was condemed. the townhomes were built on the top of a hill on unconsolidated soil. The settling and resulting structural problems occurred over time with each rainy season. The footings weren't deep enough to stabilize the structure and engineering specs were never drawn up or submitted to the proper authorities. I could have been out serious money if I had purchased the place. Buyer Beware!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

They are putting in sidewalks and gutters in front of my sister in law's house. They had to demo her porch because it crossed the setback right in the way of the sidewalk. I've demoed *real* block walls and they go down much harder than this
    good lord. this is why i keep on seeing articles about people being crushed by falling walls. zero rebar, zero foundations, zero structural integrity.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting device for laying brick. I wonder if it could be made to work with concrete block here. Still doesn't solve some issues but better than having more than an inch of mortar between runs:

I saw a new construction yesterday and some of the blocks had at least 2-3 inches of mortar between them and some had no mortar between them and that was the second floor. I tried to look for rebars but I was unable to see any.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    good lord. this is why i keep on seeing articles about people being crushed by falling walls. zero rebar, zero foundations, zero structural integrity.
    When there are no standards outlining what is considered the minimum requirement for safety, anything goes. 

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    When there are no standards outlining what is considered the minimum requirement for safety, anything goes. 
    Sadly there are standards, but how often do you see people obeying such standards.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast