Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    good lord. this is why i keep on seeing articles about people being crushed by falling walls. zero rebar, zero foundations, zero structural integrity.

Yes, terrible. And that's exactly how that young girl had her legs crushed in Charimicos a couple years back. I think at the Feb 27 parade? Building next to Bon's had a short parapet wall at the roof and they had put in a small overhang that hung over the sidewalk. Some kids were sitting on that overhang and the whole thing came down on top of her and others. I've been around construction forever and it wouldn't have happened if even a minimal amount of bar had been in it. Really sad because it's so easy to prevent. Stop stealing money from the govt coffers and enforce some basic building codes.

2. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    Yes, terrible. And that's exactly how that young girl had her legs crushed in Charimicos a couple years back. I think at the Feb 27 parade? Building next to Bon's had a short parapet wall at the roof and they had put in a small overhang that hung over the sidewalk. Some kids were sitting on that overhang and the whole thing came down on top of her and others. I've been around construction forever and it wouldn't have happened if even a minimal amount of bar had been in it. Really sad because it's so easy to prevent. Stop stealing money from the govt coffers and enforce some basic building codes.
    I've seen electronic appliance wire used for main electrical panels and other horrors.The DR is supposed to be adhering to NA wiring codes. I've been in houses in the DR under construction by German and Swiss contractors. Everything is done to code, windows, plumbing, electrical, etc. Are there DR trade schools where they teach contractor trades or is it only father to son hands on training?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I'm no concrete guru, but I think the cost of using commercially prepared concrete is offset by superior quality.
    You usually see them mixing concrete in a hole or just on the ground .... very rarely you see a use of even a basic tool like this

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    I've seen electronic appliance wire used for main electrical panels and other horrors.The DR is supposed to be adhering to NA wiring codes. I've been in houses in the DR under construction by German and Swiss contractors. Everything is done to code, windows, plumbing, electrical, etc. Are there DR trade schools where they teach contractor trades or is it only father to son hands on training?
    There is Infotep which provides short-term (3-6 months) education in many trades and crafts, and there are technical 4-year secondary schools (Politecnico), my friend went to one in SPM year ago, that's where he learned about electricity, refrigeration and plumbing.

6. Likes PeterInBrat, Ecoman1949 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I know, let's make the second floor bigger than the ground floor! What could possibly go wrong? Not sure, but I think my wife said they want to put another floor above the second. A dozen or so pieces of rebar holding up a second story wall with a few *buttresses* and chalky cement.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    It all comes down to money. Higher code standards increase costs quickly, a price few "normal" Dominicans can (or will) afford.

But it could be worse. The earthquake devastation in Haiti was caused more by no rebar in construction than the trembler. There were multi-level hotels that imploded just because not one inch of rebar was used. I can't even imagine...

We had the chance to spend a couple of days with Norbert---remember mountainfrog?---who was a German engineer who built his entire mountaintop residence in Las Terranas. I have not seen a better engineered structure built anywhere. It was incredible, top quality design, materials and construction in every system. It did, however, cost a small fortune and priced his property way above comps in the area.

9. Likes Ecoman1949 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    I know, let's make the second floor bigger than the ground floor! What could possibly go wrong? Not sure, but I think my wife said they want to put another floor above the second. A dozen or so pieces of rebar holding up a second story wall with a few *buttresses* and chalky cement.

Holy Kra* is that for Real, or an Optical Illusion ?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post

It depends on the construction of the first floor.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup. I was watching them build the first floor last year with different crew. I'm thinking the buttresses are suppose to tie into the vertical columns, but it would still be very poor engineering. We were in an apt below that last year until we got sick of the landlord. Really glad we moved now!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Ted Talk on construction in Haiti. Very much applies here for what should be done in construction.

14. Likes cobraboy liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast