Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Was there rebar in that wall? I didn't see any...

Most newer construction I've seen, well in our neighborhood anyway, has reinforced comcrete columns on corners and in the interior. The concrete blocks are non-load-bearing walls with wide-spaced rebar just to keep them from falling from any horizontal forces. The columns support the second floor concrete floors, and then are "textures into the concrete block walls.
    Yes, that's the theory, but they usually just tie the posts and beam rebar together with metal ties. It's not like they're running the rebar through the posts, but to the posts. If they bent the rebar over at the ends, it might add more strength, but they don't. The strength is in how much force it would take for the rebar to pull out of a few inches of bad mortar. They don't add aggregate because it's more time and money. You can make the beams as strong as you want, but if the joints fail, the building fails.

2. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

essentially, there is nothing wrong per se in making higher floors larger than the lower ones. in a barrio it's a great way to maximize whatever little space people have. and where i come from overhanging balconies, even on tall apartment buildings are very common. however, the strength of construction is all in execution. if it's done well it's safe, it saves space and it can look good.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    essentially, there is nothing wrong per se in making higher floors larger than the lower ones. in a barrio it's a great way to maximize whatever little space people have. and where i come from overhanging balconies, even on tall apartment buildings are very common. however, the strength of construction is all in execution. if it's done well it's safe, it saves space and it can look good.
    Im no Engineer... but i would say there is a huge difference between Balconies over hanging, and a STRUCTURAL WALL that is completely Outside the footprint of the floor below it , essentially the beginning of an Upside down Pyramid so to speak .. .. that only works in Dr Seuss Books , imo.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Google "garrison style house", it's not an uncommon design.
    Whether it was designed and is being built correctly is another question.

6. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Im no Engineer... but i would say there is a huge difference between Balconies over hanging, and a STRUCTURAL WALL that is completely Outside the footprint of the floor below it , essentially the beginning of an Upside down Pyramid so to speak .. .. that only works in Dr Seuss Books , imo.
    It works, trust me.

This upside-down pyramid has been standing for several decades now...

8. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody ever see ICI blocks, styrofoam building blocks, used in building footings, or walls in the DR? Easy to work with, provides good insulation on both sides, and can be constructed to a height of four feet per pour and set. It would reduce the cooling costs and provide other benefits such as standardized construction techniques.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    It works, trust me.

This was the pier in downtown St. Petersburg FL, my hometown area, that extended into Tampa Bay for many years:

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    Anybody ever see ICI blocks, styrofoam building blocks, used in building footings, or walls in the DR? Easy to work with, provides good insulation on both sides, and can be constructed to a height of four feet per pour and set. It would reduce the cooling costs and provide other benefits such as standardized construction techniques.
    There is an outfit near the public hospital in Santiago that specializes in them.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    It works, trust me.

But that is a STEEL Structure .. different animal , no ?

If we are speaking of Cinder block buildings, I do not see how this would work.. Even with Rebar used .
    I understand the basics , Concrete can take intense pressure but very little TENSION.. Rebar compensates for that by absorbing the TENSION when needed .

thanks for that Picture . pretty Cool Design...

13. Likes spmc liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

google cantilever buildings. plenty of them all over the world and some have pretty amazeballs designs. of course they are built to certain standards and they are designed from scratch to hold the weight of the structure.
    this one is kinda impressive:
    https://www.architonic.com/en/projec...inpark/5102816

15. Likes jd426 liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast