Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoman1949 View Post
    Anybody ever see ICI blocks, styrofoam building blocks, used in building footings, or walls in the DR? Easy to work with, provides good insulation on both sides, and can be constructed to a height of four feet per pour and set. It would reduce the cooling costs and provide other benefits such as standardized construction techniques.

It's more economical to build a standard conc footing and masonry wall, then place a layer of styro at exterior, then a layer of stucco over that. You'll get the same effect, but you'll have the added benefit of your thermal mass on the interior.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    google cantilever buildings. plenty of them all over the world and some have pretty amazeballs designs. of course they are built to certain standards and they are designed from scratch to hold the weight of the structure.
    this one is kinda impressive:
    https://www.architonic.com/en/projec...inpark/5102816
    Very nice , and interesting.. .but before I even click on that im willing to bet there are some STEEL I BEAMS in there ..
    I have honestly never seen I beams used in the DR, not for Private dwellings .
    I beams are very expensive ..

very cool though.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    It's more economical to build a standard conc footing and masonry wall, then place a layer of styro at exterior, then a layer of stucco over that. You'll get the same effect, but you'll have the added benefit of your thermal mass on the interior.
    Apply insulating ceramic coating instead of paint, and you've got one excellent exterior structure.

4. Likes ctrob liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad and I did a spec house about five years ago using IFC blocks for the foundation. They would be great here if they could compete on cost. They have braces built in to hold the rebar in place.

Yes you can build a sound "upside down" house with proper engineering. But I very much doubt these crews even know how to use 3-4-5 triangle to check for square or to check the diagonals on a perimeter. If the diagonals of a foundation are equal lengths AND both the lengths and widths pair up, you got yourself a rectangle.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    Yes you can build a sound "upside down" house with proper engineering. But I very much doubt these crews even know how to use 3-4-5 triangle to check for square or to check the diagonals on a perimeter. .
    Florida....where else.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Before buying cinder blocks, check to see if you can drop one from chest height onto concrete without it shattering. This would be a fail:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678