Road Safety Commission

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
As DR1 News today.....

New Presidential Road Safety Commission

President Danilo Medina issued Decree 263-16 on Tuesday, 20 September 2016, creating the Presidential Commission for Road Safety. The commission is being set up to seek comprehensive solutions to traffic accidents in the country. Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo said that thousands of people die in traffic accidents every year and the commission will be responsible for finding permanent solutions to the problem.

The commission has been assigned the task of preparing a national road safety plan within two months. The plan will include measures such as new road safety policies, campaigns for public awareness and for people found in violation of Traffic Law 241-67, and road safety training for technical staff and officials.

A specialized working group will be created with representatives from central government, municipal and private sectors tasked with presenting proposals and suggestions and being informed of the decisions to be taken.

Members of the commission are representatives of the ministries of Public Works (which will chair the commission), Public Health, Interior and Police, Education, Attorney General, Transit and Land Transport (DGTT), National Police, Metropolitan Transport Authority, Dominican Municipal League and the Federation of Dominican Municipalities.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/...vial-LE4987508

Let's hope some good comes of this initiative through decree. Road safety is without doubt one of the significant problems this developing country has and impacts all of us one way or another. A coordinated approach was clearly needed.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If they start with crushing all the motos with no headlights and teaching the moto guys to drive on the proper side of the road it will be a great start.
Enforcing basic traffic safety would also be a tremendous improvement.
I could go on and on but unfortunately the whole program is just going to be more smoke and mirrors with no substance.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If they start with crushing all the motos with no headlights and teaching the moto guys to drive on the proper side of the road it will be a great start.
Enforcing basic traffic safety would also be a tremendous improvement.
I could go on and on but unfortunately the whole program is just going to be more smoke and mirrors with no substance.

What we are reading above is something different from the usual short term purges. An effort to bring all the involved parties together to prepare a national road safety plan. The current arrangements are so un coordinated and out of date.

We all know something thorough needs to be done and this seems a better approach. We all forget that DR is a developing economy with rapid development and growth and consequential growing pains. You only have to look back a few years to appreciate how the number of vehicles on the roads has multiplied and the number of new highways, overpasses, tunnels and so on that have been built.

And for a second think about AMET, it's history ( https://amet.gob.do/index.php/historia-de-amet/ ) and what it's current day role should be. Just one of the many issues that need to be brought together and developed into a National Road Safety Plan.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I am certain most members of this commission need brand new jeepetas...... :cry:

Off topic......but the matter of exemptions for politicos on vehicles is gaining some current attention by some parties and in the press.....

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/09/19/homero-gonzalez-muchos-senadores-fueron-gran-fraude-para-pais#

See the list of some of the vehicles imported beneficially in the above article.

Santo Domingo continues to amaze me with the apparent wealth, even if borrowed, judging by the continual flow of newer and bigger vehicles all the time

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
Enforced how?

I was amazed when I took my driving test -> discovered there are already plenty of laws. Not sure the above offers anything new bar publicity.

How will USD$ 200 a month max law enforcers be persuaded it's worth their trouble/time..........

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Enforced how?

I was amazed when I took my driving test -> discovered there are already plenty of laws. Not sure the above offers anything new bar publicity.

How will USD$ 200 a month max law enforcers be persuaded it's worth their trouble/time..........

The article has been translated into English for our benefit and I think it tells you everything. A decree to establish a commission to develop a National Road Safety Plan in two months to cover 'this that and the other....'.

Now those '$200 a month' guys you are questioning actually do provide an excellent roadside support system and the AMET agents I've come across are pretty efficient and honest.

You cannot expect the same standards you have back home in societies that have taken hundreds of years to develop laws and regulations. This is a developing country, with a segment of poor and uneducated people, which was under the rule of a dictator 50 years ago. Give them a chance to develop civilian administrative systems outside of a military ethic.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's an easy fix so I wonder why they need a commission for this..

Motoconchos -- one strike and you are out,bike crushed...

Triple the price of fuel and vehicles and tax the hell out of private users making car use beyond reach for most folk.

Invent cheap and efficient public transport..

Ta Dah..!
job done.

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
Hmmm - I am 'home' thanks - the laws are there - they're not universally enforced - the difference the new campaign will make to enforcement is what d'you reckon?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hmmm - I am 'home' thanks - the laws are there - they're not universally enforced - the difference the new campaign will make to enforcement is what d'you reckon?

It is not a campaign.

Does your home country have a dedicated Ministry of Transport/Transportation covering all aspects of public and private transportation in the land?

What does DR have to coordinate all the issues in play?

Hence the decree, the preparation of a national plan and a motivation behind it, that is, apart from the obscene loss of life and often chaos on the roads.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
It's an easy fix so I wonder why they need a commission for this..

Motoconchos -- one strike and you are out,bike crushed...

Triple the price of fuel and vehicles and tax the hell out of private users making car use beyond reach for most folk.

Invent cheap and efficient public transport..

Ta Dah..!
job done.

This thread is not (yet) in the Clown Bin!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I submit that the creation of the commission is meaningless. I say this because there are also commissions for the rights of women, protection of children, and other social problems. The haven't been effective in spite of a great deal of NGO support and foreign aid. Getting back on topic, the need for improvement is clear to anyone who spends even an hour driving around. Similar campaigns, commissions, hand wringing investigative reports of the Nuria variety, and earnest newspaper spreads happen on a regular basis going back many years. All that changes are the model years of the very badly driven vehicles. I am disappointed to be a Debbie Downer but it is what it is. It is possible to avoid most of the craziness and danger but it requires significant adaptation from first world driving practices. Those who fail to adapt but insist on driving put themselves at great risk. It's been covered many times here but it bears repeating that most of the motoring public have little to no knowledge of driving regulations or practices (a.k.a. "educaci?n vial"). This explains why there are internationally accepted motor vehicle laws but they are so widely flouted. Another way to understand the unusual situation are popular expressions like (loosely translated): "Dominicans know everything about other countries but have never visited them," "driving licenses are for sale," "there is no law here," etc.

It is not a campaign.

Does your home country have a dedicated Ministry of Transport/Transportation covering all aspects of public and private transportation in the land?

What does DR have to coordinate all the issues in play?

Hence the decree, the preparation of a national plan and a motivation behind it, that is, apart from the obscene loss of life and often chaos on the roads.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
As DR1 News today.....

New Presidential Road Safety Commission

President Danilo Medina issued Decree 263-16 on Tuesday, 20 September 2016, creating the Presidential Commission for Road Safety. The commission is being set up to seek comprehensive solutions to traffic accidents in the country. Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo said that thousands of people die in traffic accidents every year and the commission will be responsible for finding permanent solutions to the problem.

The commission has been assigned the task of preparing a national road safety plan within two months. The plan will include measures such as new road safety policies, campaigns for public awareness and for people found in violation of Traffic Law 241-67, and road safety training for technical staff and officials.

A specialized working group will be created with representatives from central government, municipal and private sectors tasked with presenting proposals and suggestions and being informed of the decisions to be taken.

Members of the commission are representatives of the ministries of Public Works (which will chair the commission), Public Health, Interior and Police, Education, Attorney General, Transit and Land Transport (DGTT), National Police, Metropolitan Transport Authority, Dominican Municipal League and the Federation of Dominican Municipalities.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/...vial-LE4987508

Let's hope some good comes of this initiative through decree. Road safety is without doubt one of the significant problems this developing country has and impacts all of us one way or another. A coordinated approach was clearly needed.

LOL. Start with making sure all vehicles are registered and have insurance.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
LOL. Start with making sure all vehicles are registered and have insurance.

Start with making sure that all vehicles on the road are mechanically sound and structurally safe. Remove those that cannot be made so. This will cause enough chaos to end the commission immediately.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've gathered over time, that Dominicans on whole are not bad drivers, in terms of actually manipulating a vehicle on the broad.

What they lack primarily is a sense of consideration for others and courtesy. So how does one apply a change of culture to the way that they behave in society and on the road?

The other factor is the impunity in which they act on the roads. The laws are in place, the road system is adequate along with markings, sign posts and light, but no one heeds them.

In my opinion all that is required is consistent law enforcement.