Working "Remote" in D.R.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Friends,

Just joined a division in my Company that has about 1/3 of the team members that work remote. Our Company isbased in Atlanta, and we have Sales folks that live all throughout the U.S. Most justcome 1-2 times a month for meetings in Atlanta, but other trips are to the Client's locations throught the states for 1-2 days at a time. Not so frequently though unless there is an account review. Meetings are mostly held online, etc. My Family is in the Santiago/Tenares/Lavega Area. I'll look for a place that I can raise a kid too.

My questions are:
- Stability of the internet/phone lines
- Tax implications if I spend 3-4 months out of the year in DR and the rest of time in U.S.
- Travel through customs being a U.S. Citizen of DR parents
- Where do I reside, U.S, or DR?

Thanks in advance.

R.

Last edited:

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
1) never had a problem with internet/phone that wouldn't happen elsewhere - my area has good reception for both - others seem intermittent so check

2) there's a thread going on US tax - if you're a US citizen you'll be liable - the banks here check/report back.

3) never heard of any 'special' treatment - you'll follow the same entry/exit rules as anyone. No visa from the US but buy a Tourist visa on arrival ($10 US) covers you for 30 days - check up-to-date info at the US Consulate in Santo Domingo (easy google) - rules change!

4) You can do both - recommend going for DR residency if you plan to be here more than a month or two at a time - tedious but makes life much simpler. With DR parents you may even be eligible for citizenship - check again as for 3 - not sure of current rules on joint.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Come March 2017, I'll have worked remote for a US-based company for 3 years in Punta Cana. Get yourself a UPS and plug *all* your network equipment into it. Cable router, wifi, switches, everything. That'll give you ~30 minutes of internet if the power goes out, as long as you have a laptop. If you're using a desktop, get a 2nd UPS and plug that system and monitor into it.

Get a good surge protector and plug your printer into that.

If you're only here for 3-4 months/year you're not eligible for the Foreign Earned Income Exemption. Similarly, you're probably maintaining a residence in US, so that's where you live. My sole residence is here in PC, so I get a couple of tax breaks to claim.

It's my understanding that you can claim citizenship as a child of Dominican parents. I'd recommend that post-haste to streamline your Customs entry.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Friends,

Just joined a division in my Company that has about 1/3 of the team members that work remote. Our Company isbased in Atlanta, and we have Sales folks that live all throughout the U.S. Most justcome 1-2 times a month for meetings in Atlanta, but other trips are to the Client's locations throught the states for 1-2 days at a time. Not so frequently though unless there is an account review. Meetings are mostly held online, etc. My Family is in the Santiago/Tenares/Lavega Area. I'll look for a place that I can raise a kid too.

My questions are:
- Stability of the internet/phone lines
- Tax implications if I spend 3-4 months out of the year in DR and the rest of time in U.S.
- Travel through customs being a U.S. Citizen of DR parents
- Where do I reside, U.S, or DR?

Thanks in advance.

R.

Unless you have a residence in the DR and you are there majority of time your taxes will be treated as if you where in the states full time. There is no exemption for being out of the country for 3-4 months. You would need to be a resident of the DR and be living there at least 330 days in a 12 month period. So, don't sweat it. You should get your DR Residency if you decided to be there 3-4 months every year. That process starts in your home country. Check with the nearest DR Consulate as to the documents you will need.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It might, and I say might help your tax situation, but you need a tax professional to help with this. Correct about the need to be out of the US 330 days annually regarding taxes and also to not be forced into either paying for US Health care or paying the fine to the IRS.

It depends upon how you are paid, but you might be able to use your income as foreign earned and exclude much or all of it if that is possible.
That would depend upon how you are paid and you definitely need conclusive information on this. It probably is not possible, but it is best to know for certain.
DR residency or citizenship could help, certainly with day to day things in the DR.

The other information, regarding US citizens holding off shore bank accounts are due to things called FBAR and FATCA that you should also research.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I don't know, just speculating, but if you only spend 3 to 4 months per year here wouldn't that jeopardize your residency here? If I remember right to maintain US residency one has to spend 6 months out of 2 within the USA.
Der Fish

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I don't know, just speculating, but if you only spend 3 to 4 months per year here wouldn't that jeopardize your residency here? If I remember right to maintain US residency one has to spend 6 months out of 2 within the USA.
Der Fish

6 months out of 2? I'm missing something here.