Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Internet question.

I am trying to help the three kids of my GF of three years (7, 15 and 17) to get a passable education, and therefore want to have them able to use the Internet.
    They have electricity at least 12 hrs a day in Barahona, but Claro says that the area is too far to string wires to the home. I know that the colmado on the corner, maybe 10 doors down has a phone line, as does a Internet place about two blocks away on a parallel street. Is there some way to get Internet to our house?
    Many thanks to all who answer.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally, hanging RG-6 is good for a 150 foot drop (line), beyond that, they should move up to an RG-11 drop to a maximum of 500 feet, beyond that would be a distribution line .500 ID aluminum cased, plastic sheathed. How far are you from the Tap (the connection point where ariel lines thread/connect on to)? Assuming you are looking for Internet over Cable

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    I have no idea. I don't know what Claro normally offers to people with a phone line.
    All I know is they said it is too far. I don't know how far too far is. I have no experience installing cables, DSL or any other sort of connection.
    Could you tell me what is the best way to get some sort of connection? DSL would be okay, I suppose, it works okay for me here in Miami. Cost is a factor.
    I donlt much care about Cable TV, either, or "bundles".

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no phone lines where we live, we can get internet through Claro either through a dongle that plugs into a USB port, through a small wifi wireless device, or through our phone. We prepay for all of these, so no surprise bills for you, if the use up the prepay they're cut off. They do offer free social media days.

All of this presumes that Claro has a decent phone signal where they live.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no phone lines where we live, we can get internet through Claro either through a dongle that plugs into a USB port, through a small wifi wireless device

Thanks.
    Can I buy one of these in the US? What do you call it?
    Here at home I need a modem as well as a router. Do you use either or both of those?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    Thanks.
    I have no idea. I don't know what Claro normally offers to people with a phone line.
    All I know is they said it is too far. I don't know how far too far is. I have no experience installing cables, DSL or any other sort of connection.
    Could you tell me what is the best way to get some sort of connection? DSL would be okay, I suppose, it works okay for me here in Miami. Cost is a factor.
    I donlt much care about Cable TV, either, or "bundles".
    You're probably too far from the CO for DSL; there's a physical distance limitation. You're probably better off getting satellite internet (obviously only good while there's power). Aside from that, does Claro even offer a dialup internet service any longer? If not, I think AOL is still lurking around.

7. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to help the three kids of my GF of three years (7, 15 and 17) to get a passable education, and therefore want to have them able to use the Internet.
    They have electricity at least 12 hrs a day in Barahona, but Claro says that the area is too far to string wires to the home. I know that the colmado on the corner, maybe 10 doors down has a phone line, as does a Internet place about two blocks away on a parallel street. Is there some way to get Internet to our house?
    Generally speaking, IŽd say it $ound$ po$$ible.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no phone lines where we live, we can get internet through Claro either through a dongle that plugs into a USB port, through a small wifi wireless device

Thanks.
    Can I buy one of these in the US? What do you call it?
    Here at home I need a modem as well as a router. Do you use either or both of those?
    You can only get them from Claro. Sometimes they give them for free with a new account.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

... but Claro says that the area is too far to string wires to the home. I know that the colmado on the corner, maybe 10 doors down has a phone line, as does a Internet place about two blocks away on a parallel street. Is there some way to get Internet to our house?
    Exactly what is the "reason" for them saying they can not string wires to the home?

Years ago I had a similar problem, my wife's cousin said he knew a Claro executive.
    Turns out the "distance" problem was not a signal problem, but a physical problem.

There's a distance limitation between the closet pole and the house.

We were "too far" from the closet telephone pole (Public one, there were 2 Tricom poles).

I bought and had installed two poles and we got our service.

Stay Calm, The Moderator is Here

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose that I will have to go there and do the research myself. Again, do I need a router and a modem if I have the dongle or whatever it is?
    How does satellite internet work? I thought it was only for downloading.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast