Suggestions for November

CosmicMiami

Mar 12, 2013
I have a number of questions here. Pardon the lengthy post.

Wife is Dominican (raised in NYC). She has some business to take care of in Santo Domingo with her father in late November (T-gving week).

We want to do a family getaway afterwards (with a 13 year old teen boy). She wants to do an all-inclusive in Puerto Plata for a couple days. I'm good with that even though I prefer getting out in the countryside to explore. We can find a tour guide in town I suppose.

So here are the issues.

How to get from Santo Domingo to the north shore? How to return from Santiago to MIA after flying into SDQ? What resort is the best (I know, lots of different opinions)?

Anybody want to be the travel planner here? LOL

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

So here are the issues.

How to get from Santo Domingo to the north shore?
Least expensive is to take either Metro or Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata. This might be an issue if you have lots of luggage.

How to return from Santiago to MIA after flying into SDQ?
When you book your ticket, book it "open jaw" - an open jaw ticket allows you to depart from a different airport than your arrival one.

What resort is the best (I know, lots of different opinions)?
Most people believe that the Iberostar (not in the Playa Dorada) is one of the best in Puerto Plata.

Answers in bold.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Some flights out of POP (Puerto Plata) to Miami, and you don't have to go all the way to Santiago when you are ready to go home.
Der Fish

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
As sympathetic as I usually am to these pleas for help, I am also sort of over it.

Do your own work, people. DR-1 provides help to people who are committed to doing their work.

Do your own work and then ask us what we think.

And it's not LOL. It't the opposite of LOL. I am not laughing.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Wife is Dominican (raised in NYC). She has some business to take care of in Santo Domingo with her father in late November (T-gving week).

We want to do a family getaway afterwards (with a 13 year old teen boy). She wants to do an all-inclusive in Puerto Plata for a couple days. I'm good with that even though I prefer getting out in the countryside to explore. We can find a tour guide in town I suppose.

So here are the issues.

How to get from Santo Domingo to the north shore? How to return from Santiago to MIA after flying into SDQ? What resort is the best (I know, lots of different opinions)?

Don't bother with POP. Rent a car and drive from SD to Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. Stay at Hotel Colibri or Hotel Aleisi. You are right on the beach and close to a few things to do. Go on a 4 wheeler tour. Your son will love that. Also you can ride horses up to Limon Falls or go to Playa Valle' on the other side of Samana City and go zip lining. Check out the tourist guide at the top the Northeast Thread. POP is an older resort area and will take you longer to get to with less things to do. The scenery in Las Terrenas and area is wonderful. If you make it there go to Luis' Restaurant on the beach in Coson. Get grilled food, in a very laid back atmosphere on the beach. You can swim while you wait. Good luck and good travels.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
As sympathetic as I usually am to these pleas for help, I am also sort of over it.

Do your own work, people. DR-1 provides help to people who are committed to doing their work.

Do your own work and then ask us what we think.

And it's not LOL. It't the opposite of LOL. I am not laughing.

As sympathetic as I usually am to critical, caustic comments like this--I cannot remain silent on this one. The man is a newbie with a great big four posts under his belt. This is his way of doing his own work. Thanks to LTSteve; his trust in DR1 proves valid.

I agree with the recommendation of Hotel Colibri. Try to get a room on the East side, quieter in the morning when you might want to sleep in.

wbr

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
As sympathetic as I usually am to critical, caustic comments like this--I cannot remain silent on this one. The man is a newbie with a great big four posts under his belt. This is his way of doing his own work. Thanks to LTSteve; his trust in DR1 proves valid.

I agree with the recommendation of Hotel Colibri. Try to get a room on the East side, quieter in the morning when you might want to sleep in.

wbr

I totally agree with you Me_again. Quite a few posters don't mind being "Travel Planners" on DR1. When I knew nothing about la rep dom DR1 was my source for info. As I began to learn things I enjoyed giving back and helping out newbies.

Before we go there please don't use that, Use the Search Function because the search function is not the easiest way to find answers on DR1. Just me but if a DR1 member remembers a thread it is much easier for the member to locate the link and post it for the newbie. If you don't like doing this than don't do it and please don't bother to tell a newbie RTFF.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is there a reason for north coast trip at all? if the wife wants all inclusive getaway punta cana area is much better for that and much closer to SD than puerto plata (or las terrenas, for that matter).
check gustazos for offers: http://www.gustazos.com/
they change weekly and punta cana (or bavaro) pops up all the time with family offers.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
is there a reason for north coast trip at all? if the wife wants all inclusive getaway punta cana area is much better for that and much closer to SD than puerto plata (or las terrenas, for that matter).
check gustazos for offers: http://www.gustazos.com/
they change weekly and punta cana (or bavaro) pops up all the time with family offers.

I agree, the bus ride is shorter or if a car is rented most of the trip will be via a highway and in theory safer than two lane roads through the hills, particularly for someone who has never been here before. Maybe a taxi to the Las Americas airport and a bus to Punta Cana from there would be cheaper. Finding a good price on a resort in November should be no problem as the winter season is just starting to heat up...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
sounds like the wife has family here and maybe they do not live in LT or Punta Cana area. Who wants to spend their holiday driving across country back n forth in this mayhem.
This is actually where Memmeselle has a point. Very limited info to go by yet expect a recommendation of value.

By the way i have a friend who will be coming to the DR also and he wants to know where to fly in and out, best airfares, best apartment deals and best action. Please also help him

CosmicMiami

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into it. We do travel light with just a small bag or two between three of us (2 adults and a teen).

CosmicMiami

Mar 12, 2013
K. Thanks anyway. I knew at first it was kind of a long shot to ask for suggestions here. Figured I would give it a go anyway.

CosmicMiami

Mar 12, 2013
That's awesome LTSteve. What I want to do anyway. We are considering a retirement on the north shore and Samana is one of the options. Your suggestions for Hotel Colibri and Hotel Aleisi are duly noted.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Puerto Plata is a wonderful destination. Lots to see and do. Second the Costa Dorada Iberostar if wife wants an all-inclusive.

In Puerto Plata city…

10-15 minutes drive from Costa Dorada:
Visit the Victorian houses of the city of Puerto Plata, walkable from the central park. They were built 1870-1930.

In the historic center, visit the Museo General Gregorio Luperon. Also walkable from the central park.

Hike up the Loma Isabel de Torres (if you are fit) or take the sky lift. Be sure to walk beyond the central area where the sky lift drops you off. Plan on a 2-hour walk up there. It is chilly.

Visit the Fortaleza San Felipe and Amphitheater Park. This area is wonderful for good photos. Walk all the way up to the eastern side of the amphitheater and take photos with the Fortaleza San Felipe in the backdrop with the Atlantic Ocean.

Take the tour of the Brugal Rum factory. Get an explanation on premium rums and purchase one or two.

Visit the Ocean World Park. Visit the Saltos de Damajagua, about 1/2 hour from Puerto Plata city, a mix of nature trails that lead to 27 waterfalls and awesome natural pools. Take the long excursion, walking all the way to the top, and jumping down through the waterfalls.

Take a day for swimming in Sosua Beach. In Sosua, visit the Castillo Mundo King -- the eclectic display of mega Haitian art creations in steel and stone, a tribute to the owner's perceived contacts with UFOs.

Spend a beach day at Cabarete beach. Take a windsurfing class. Visit the El Choco Park for hiking and caving. Visit the Dream Project, for inspiring social work.

For those with more time, visit the Ruinas de La Isabela on the western side. This is the site of the first Spanish settlement in the Americas.

Drive all the way out to Cayo Arena to take a morning excursion to the cay for snorkelling. Best to overnight in one of the small hotels in the area.

Next…
Head east to the eastern north coast beaches… there are many. Have lunch on Playa Rogelio or Playa Grande (check out Playa Preciosa). Head to Laguna Dud? and have your son do zip lining over the waters framed by underwater caves.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Puerto Plata is a wonderful destination. Lots to see and do. Second the Costa Dorada Iberostar if wife wants an all-inclusive.

In Puerto Plata city?

10-15 minutes drive from Costa Dorada:
Visit the Victorian houses of the city of Puerto Plata, walkable from the central park. They were built 1870-1930.

In the historic center, visit the Museo General Gregorio Luperon. Also walkable from the central park.

Hike up the Loma Isabel de Torres (if you are fit) or take the sky lift. Be sure to walk beyond the central area where the sky lift drops you off. Plan on a 2-hour walk up there. It is chilly.

Visit the Fortaleza San Felipe and Amphitheater Park. This area is wonderful for good photos. Walk all the way up to the eastern side of the amphitheater and take photos with the Fortaleza San Felipe in the backdrop with the Atlantic Ocean.

Take the tour of the Brugal Rum factory. Get an explanation on premium rums and purchase one or two.

Visit the Ocean World Park. Visit the Saltos de Damajagua, about 1/2 hour from Puerto Plata city, a mix of nature trails that lead to 27 waterfalls and awesome natural pools. Take the long excursion, walking all the way to the top, and jumping down through the waterfalls.

Take a day for swimming in Sosua Beach. In Sosua, visit the Castillo Mundo King -- the eclectic display of mega Haitian art creations in steel and stone, a tribute to the owner's perceived contacts with UFOs.

Spend a beach day at Cabarete beach. Take a windsurfing class. Visit the El Choco Park for hiking and caving. Visit the Dream Project, for inspiring social work.

For those with more time, visit the Ruinas de La Isabela on the western side. This is the site of the first Spanish settlement in the Americas.

Drive all the way out to Cayo Arena to take a morning excursion to the cay for snorkelling. Best to overnight in one of the small hotels in the area.

Next?
Head east to the eastern north coast beaches? there are many. Have lunch on Playa Rogelio or Playa Grande (check out Playa Preciosa). Head to Laguna Dud? and have your son do zip lining over the waters framed by underwater caves.

ANd there is Monkey Jungle in Sosua where one can go zip lining for $50.00 per person or tour the inside of azoo with the monkeys running around free all around you etc...