$DR/$US bid-ask spreads...Q for frederic

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi frederic, I have seen posted on several places that the bid/ask spreads of the DR/US exchange rate is as high as $1 peso. This seems tremendously high and counter productive. I have several of questions relating to that:

1) Is this accurate and does it represent the historical average?
2) Can an individual or a corporation buy pesos directly form the Central Bank or from the Treasury?
3) Where/who does the central bank get its information from to come up with some kind of 'nominal' daily exchange rate?
4) If there are different places/businesses where large amounts can be exchanged, do they communicate in order to maintain an orderly market?

....Best for last....

5) How can an individual be legally licensed to make a market in this exchange rate? can this be done in the DR as well as US?

thanks in advance, frederic (or anyone else who can help)

frederic

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
Answers to your questions

1) Is this accurate and does it represent the historical average? YES

2) Can an individual or a corporation buy pesos directly form the Central Bank or from the Treasury? NO

3) Where/who does the central bank get its information from to come up with some kind of 'nominal' daily exchange rate? DAILY PHONE SURVEYS

4) If there are different places/businesses where large amounts can be exchanged, do they communicate in order to maintain an orderly market?
YES, THEY DO.

5) How can an individual be legally licensed to make a market in this exchange rate? can this be done in the DR as well as US?

IT CAN BE DONE in the DR, as a business or as a person, in which case you can operate more freely.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
follow up...

1. Is this spread that we see in the open market (DR$1) the same spread that importers and exporters are subject to when exchanging millions of dollars? Is there a specific bank or financial institution that makes a market for these large US$/DR$ exchange transactions?

2. If the spread is so high (DR$1), then I submit that the exchange rate market is very innefficient. The market forces are not working porperly to bring this spread down. My guess is that there might one or all of the following taking place:

a) too much goverment intervention
b) collusion betwen the different exchange houses
c) significant barrier to getting multiple quotes

I would appreciate you comments,

mondongo

frederic

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
You are correct...

You are correct...it is to much government intervention that has this situation unstable. I f the Government would have a better economic policy mix between its fiscal and monetary policies and intervene less in the currency market, we would be much better off.