Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Importing a used car.

We haven't thrashed this one around for a while, and last time I remember there were 287.4 different opinions.
    There are discoults mentioned for if one is a returning Dominican and a discount if the car is newer than 5 years or so or some such.
    But my basic question, maybe I should have posted in the legal forum, is if I go to Miami and buy a car and return in a couple of months with a car i pay$2000 for there which would sell here for well over $6000. Let's say a 2006 Suzuki Vitara. Could I drive it off the ferry from Puerto Rico and how much tax would I have to pay? Could I, as some have suggested drive it around with my USA placa for up to 12 months as a tourist? And pay the taxes etc when I got around to it?ANd how much would those import taxes be? 18% of what I paid for it? 18 % of what an aduana agent assumes it would be worth here? More ? Less? Any facts?

Thanks for any facts.
    Der Fish

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    We haven't thrashed this one around for a while, and last time I remember there were 287.4 different opinions.
    There are discoults mentioned for if one is a returning Dominican and a discount if the car is newer than 5 years or so or some such.
    But my basic question, maybe I should have posted in the legal forum, is if I go to Miami and buy a car and return in a couple of months with a car i pay$2000 for there which would sell here for well over $6000. Let's say a 2006 Suzuki Vitara. Could I drive it off the ferry from Puerto Rico and how much tax would I have to pay? Could I, as some have suggested drive it around with my USA placa for up to 12 months as a tourist? And pay the taxes etc when I got around to it?ANd how much would those import taxes be? 18% of what I paid for it? 18 % of what an aduana agent assumes it would be worth here? More ? Less? Any facts?

Thanks for any facts.
    Der Fish
    You're gonna pay 40%+ old car penalty on the value Adaunas assigns as the value, most likely the 2010 model year.

Using the adaunas online valuation tool, the total fees for a 4cyl., 2WD 2010 Suzuki Gran Vitara is around RD$125,000 plus shipping costs.

3. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Derfish;1727814]

But my basic question, maybe I should have posted in the legal forum, is if I go to Miami and buy a car and return in a couple of months with a car i pay$2000 for there which would sell here for well over $6000. Let's say a 2006 Suzuki Vitara. Could I drive it off the ferry from Puerto Rico and how much tax would I have to pay?
    NO!

Could I, as some have suggested drive it around with my USA placa for up to 12 months as a tourist? And pay the taxes etc when I got around to it?ANd how much would those import taxes be? 18% of what I paid for it? 18 % of what an aduana agent assumes it would be worth here? More ? Less? Any facts?
    NO!

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

5. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest hitch you'd run into is that you couldn't sell it for the $6k figure sin papeles.

7. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Just saw a car the other day with State of Virginia tags in Santiago.

Derfish,

I thought you posted you were leaving the 5 of Oct and didn't really think you would ever be back?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Just saw a car the other day with State of Virginia tags in Santiago.
    None of those are legal plates...nor legally registered.

They are most likely plates brought down to "decorate" the vehicle. I have seen Maine, Texas, New Hampshire.....but the plates are not legal in the DR.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

10. Likes cobraboy, frank12 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

SantiagoDR
    was the plate on the front or back.??

I would hate to be pulled over and not have my RD tags..... double trouble

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    SantiagoDR
    was the plate on the front or back.??

I would hate to be pulled over and not have my RD tags..... double trouble
    On the back of the vehicle where it is normally mounted.
    No other tag on the vehicle.

I have even seen the fake Arabian tags mounted on the rear of vehicles without any Dominican tag visible.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Lends a new meaning to Vanity Plates.......

I forget how long I had to apply for and receive my RD plates after importing.
    a month, maybe??

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    On the back of the vehicle where it is normally mounted.
    No other tag on the vehicle.

I have even seen the fake Arabian tags mounted on the rear of vehicles without any Dominican tag visible.
    Not an uncommon sight...as are Japanese tags/plates.

In Santiago, they are all FOM no doubt. (Friends Of Monchy)

Welcome to the DR.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast