Importing a used car.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
We haven't thrashed this one around for a while, and last time I remember there were 287.4 different opinions.
There are discoults mentioned for if one is a returning Dominican and a discount if the car is newer than 5 years or so or some such.
But my basic question, maybe I should have posted in the legal forum, is if I go to Miami and buy a car and return in a couple of months with a car i pay$2000 for there which would sell here for well over $6000. Let's say a 2006 Suzuki Vitara. Could I drive it off the ferry from Puerto Rico and how much tax would I have to pay? Could I, as some have suggested drive it around with my USA placa for up to 12 months as a tourist? And pay the taxes etc when I got around to it?ANd how much would those import taxes be? 18% of what I paid for it? 18 % of what an aduana agent assumes it would be worth here? More ? Less? Any facts?

Thanks for any facts.
Der Fish

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We haven't thrashed this one around for a while, and last time I remember there were 287.4 different opinions.
There are discoults mentioned for if one is a returning Dominican and a discount if the car is newer than 5 years or so or some such.
But my basic question, maybe I should have posted in the legal forum, is if I go to Miami and buy a car and return in a couple of months with a car i pay$2000 for there which would sell here for well over $6000. Let's say a 2006 Suzuki Vitara. Could I drive it off the ferry from Puerto Rico and how much tax would I have to pay? Could I, as some have suggested drive it around with my USA placa for up to 12 months as a tourist? And pay the taxes etc when I got around to it?ANd how much would those import taxes be? 18% of what I paid for it? 18 % of what an aduana agent assumes it would be worth here? More ? Less? Any facts?

Thanks for any facts.
Der Fish
You're gonna pay 40%+ old car penalty on the value Adaunas assigns as the value, most likely the 2010 model year.

Using the adaunas online valuation tool, the total fees for a 4cyl., 2WD 2010 Suzuki Gran Vitara is around RD$125,000 plus shipping costs.

Jan 9, 2004
But my basic question, maybe I should have posted in the legal forum, is if I go to Miami and buy a car and return in a couple of months with a car i pay$2000 for there which would sell here for well over $6000. Let's say a 2006 Suzuki Vitara. Could I drive it off the ferry from Puerto Rico and how much tax would I have to pay?

NO!

Could I, as some have suggested drive it around with my USA placa for up to 12 months as a tourist? And pay the taxes etc when I got around to it?ANd how much would those import taxes be? 18% of what I paid for it? 18 % of what an aduana agent assumes it would be worth here? More ? Less? Any facts?

NO!

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I think the biggest hitch you'd run into is that you couldn't sell it for the $6k figure sin papeles.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just saw a car the other day with State of Virginia tags in Santiago.

Derfish,

I thought you posted you were leaving the 5 of Oct and didn't really think you would ever be back?

Jan 9, 2004

None of those are legal plates...nor legally registered.

They are most likely plates brought down to "decorate" the vehicle. I have seen Maine, Texas, New Hampshire.....but the plates are not legal in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
SantiagoDR
was the plate on the front or back.??

I would hate to be pulled over and not have my RD tags..... double trouble

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
SantiagoDR
was the plate on the front or back.??

I would hate to be pulled over and not have my RD tags..... double trouble

On the back of the vehicle where it is normally mounted.
No other tag on the vehicle.

I have even seen the fake Arabian tags mounted on the rear of vehicles without any Dominican tag visible.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lends a new meaning to Vanity Plates.......

I forget how long I had to apply for and receive my RD plates after importing.
a month, maybe??

Jan 9, 2004
On the back of the vehicle where it is normally mounted.
No other tag on the vehicle.

I have even seen the fake Arabian tags mounted on the rear of vehicles without any Dominican tag visible.

Not an uncommon sight...as are Japanese tags/plates.

In Santiago, they are all FOM no doubt. (Friends Of Monchy)

Welcome to the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Derf
we've been over this 1,000 times.

It is not much (if any) cheaper to import than buy here.
the 5 yr will stump rule on your $2,000 vehicle.

as has been reported, the biggest reason to import vs buy 'local' is to know the pedigree.....
like bringing in a car you know vs a pig in a poke

Period.
re-read those 287.4 answers again...paying particular attention to the .4 one

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Derfish,

I thought you posted you were leaving the 5 of Oct and didn't really think you would ever be back?

MY default position is that I know not what I am going to do in the future. A big chance that I will never be back, maybe drive that old possible Suzuki on down to Nicaragua or even Panama. but I never know what manana is going to be for me.
Der Fish

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK Derf
Go to Miami and buy the car WHEN YOU ARE READY TO TRAVEL !!!

How were you going to drive it from here?
Back on the PR ferry, back on the Ro-Ro to MIA and then central America?

Great plans need great execution.

You're half way there - don't quit now !!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Not sure of current regulation, but years ago, it made a difference if you owned the car a year or longer.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
for reduced tariff entry....

owned for a year, less than 5 yrs old was the rule
and no sale for 3 yrs
AND a legal resident with a time constraint of when you bring the vehicle. It's like within six months of approved residency, and the paperwork is maddening.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is a 20% duty penalty on vehicles over 5 years old. That 20% is on top of all the other duty and taxes.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks for any facts.
Der Fish

You are not the first to try to smuggle in a vehicle from PR. I doubt, without a legal residence there, that the shipper would deliver it to PR. If it has been thought of it has been tried and failed.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You are not the first to try to smuggle in a vehicle from PR. I doubt, without a legal residence there, that the shipper would deliver it to PR. If it has been thought of it has been tried and failed.

PR is Puerto Rico and is part of the USA. There is no restriction on an American taking anything legal from one part of the USA to another. I have had 2 different people one of them on this board claim that they knew someone who did it.
Der Fish

Jan 9, 2004
PR is Puerto Rico and is part of the USA. There is no restriction on an American taking anything legal from one part of the USA to another. I have had 2 different people one of them on this board claim that they knew someone who did it.
Der Fish

He did not say that. He meant from PR to DR.

If you know someone from the board who has done it, why ask us? PM that member....it's as easy as that.

What do we know anyway? Certainly not that the vehicle must be inspected by PR authorities, that it must be registered in Puerto Rico and not any state in the US to be allowed on the ferry, that you must show proof of insurance for the vehicle in the DR, that the vehicle must have the undercarriage flushed, that you are not allowed to load the vehicle with anything other than personal items, that you must have the title in hand and it must be a title issued by PR DMV and......

Go ahead and then tell us how well it worked for you....after all you know someone from the board who did it....right?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2