Sleeping at SDQ

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I have a flight arriving at SDQ around 1am. I'd like to catch a few hours of sleep there on the floor before heading into town at daybreak. Is this safe?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
found this review on the very useful sleepinginairports.net:

Wandering around just before the duty free stores closed, we came across the seating area around the gates at terminal A's departures satellite where we settled in...although no places to grab a bite to eat were open, seats were ample and cushioned, little or no activity was heard and dimmed lights around allowed us to sleep a bit more we thought we might. No issues with personnel, and bathrooms were clean. No announcements were heard until our flight, the first one of the day. In brief, the place was 'survivable' for just one night.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?region=3&country=Dominican+Republic&city=Santo+Domingo&terminal=SDQ#.V-pG71dyFXY

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have a flight arriving at SDQ around 1am. I'd like to catch a few hours of sleep there on the floor before heading into town at daybreak. Is this safe?

I assume you have a hotel reservation at a hotel and don't want to pay for an extra night. I would not stay at the airport. I would get a taxi and head into SD.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Alltimegreat is arriving and thus may not have access to that area.

once out of Migracion, you are free to wander the airport........

but that area may be behind the security check point........

The truly brave will cross the road and sleep at the edge of the water !!!
not me !!!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If can go upstairs in the departure area seat there and have some sleep, and seat in arriving area outside, just sleep with one eye open, at the airports you never know who can be arround you and more if is outside of sterile area.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Of course it's not safe. You will be lying there asleep with all your personal belongings with you, money, passport, cellphone, surrounded by all the panhandlers and dodgy people that transport hubs always attract. Surely this is the one time when you should pay for a reasonable hotel?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to a Cabana. At that time of night you can stay the night at a very cheap rate.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
the stupidity of some people...if you need to save money like this on vacation....stay at home

What amazes me is that we constantly get people looking to take a Moto Concho from the airport, ride in Gua Guas with chickens, etc. to save small money. Why? Either you are on vacation, or on a torture mission? Stay where you are and save the aggravation.

Aug 6, 2006
There are lockers in which one can put their luggage and valuables.\
There are several cafes in the airport where there are always people awake and moving around.
Once I arrived at 4 PM and my luggage didn't, so they told me to wait for the last plane at 10Pm, so I did.
It wasn't on that flight either. I had an overnight bag with me, so I just sat in the restaurant and chatted with several people awaiting flights from Europe.
I think I dozed off for a couple of hours.At 7 AM I walked out of the airport and took a motoconcho to the highway and on to Juan Dolio,
I don't think there is a great risk in waiting at SDQ.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

If you want to catch a few hours of zzzzzzzz, the only area that would be available for arriving passengers would be on arrival level just as you exit the sliding glass doors. If I am not mistaken there is a small coffee shop that is open 24 hours. You could sit at one of the tables, put your head down and try to doze off.

I would say it would be very safe to do as there are people and police in the area. Definitely not the most comfortable thing to do but it is doable.

Coming into the city after 1AM there will be nothing to do other than check into an hotel. I can understand your reason to try and save a hotel night bill since you would be checking in so late. The money saved allows you to stay an extra day.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would suggest you make other arrangements. Way too easy for some to walk off with your
luggage or worse.. Common sense when traveling down here is an absolute must as almost
all of the crimes committed against foreigners down here are crimes of opportunity.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Go shorty, it s your birthday !

Treat yourself, grab a cab and enjoy a bed in a cabana.

This will set you back a no more than $40 dollars (could be an advance birthday gift to yourself ?)

This thread makes me feel like such a bougie b*tch :p

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
May be he is just concerned about taking a taxi or other transport at around 2am and the safety of travelling at that time to the city... !

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
May be he is just concerned about taking a taxi or other transport at around 2am and the safety of travelling at that time to the city... !

The only thing he is concerned about is the $40 for the cab. Sleeping next to your belongings in an airport is not the safest start to a vacation.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is my thinking. I'm not concerned about saving money.

Yeah there are tons of reports of cabs leaving SDQ and the passengers are robbed or killed. Happens every day. Nobody ever steals luggage or other belongings while people sleep. Not in this country...............

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Yeah there are tons of reports of cabs leaving SDQ and the passengers are robbed or killed. Happens every day. Nobody ever steals luggage or other belongings while people sleep. Not in this country...............

I would like to read when those people was killed from the airport. Can you give me a link for that news?