Dark Liquid being dumped in Sea at Malecon, SD

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Collect a couple of samples in liter bottles, as many as you can, 10 would be good, directly from the source if possible.
While it is overwhelming to analyze for organic or inorganic chemistry. It is fairly easy to run a MSGC on it which will identify the elements involved. If anyone can get a single 1 liter sample and ship it to the US, I can get it analyzed.

Something I learned from collecting fracking crap.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I?ve seen a lot of (what appears to be) government employees sweeping the streets lately
and making a big push to keep Santiago clean. If I had to guess, they are probably doing
the same thing down in Santo Domingo. Whenever I read something like this, I just think to
myself... One step forward, two steps backwards. I wonder if they?ll ever get it right?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
As disturbing as this is visually, without a full analysis of the waste being discharged, its hard to determine the environmental effect on the marine environment. Oceans have the ability to buffer and degrade certain types of liquid wastes. I'm guessing the company responsible for this is probably discharging their waste directly into the marine environment via their plant outfall anyway. If it was actually stale beer, the salt water would buffer some of the toxic chemistry. The organics contained in the waste are not known. Again, if it's beer, the organic shouldn't be harmful or persistent. Beer is made up of natural products. Because it's made for human consumption, it usually doesn't contain harmful chemicals. Never the less, large quantities dumped in localized areas, could alter the oxygen or saline level in the water and create fish kills. I'm guessing the company sees this as the best alternative, because disposal on land wasn't possible. If it's a plant owned by the Brugal, Barcelo group, I'd be surprised if they were hit with an environmental charge and even more surprised if they had to pay a fine. Given what's currently being discharged into the DR marine environment, raw sewage, persistent plastics, untreated waste from industrial operations, the DR Environment Department has bigger fish to fry. This incident will probably be a tempest in a teapot.*

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana denies this drainage is theirs and has posted a message on their FB page inviting all interested parties to visit their plant. Here is a copy of the message:

"Ha estado circulando en las redes sociales un video donde se muestran aguas contaminadas, alegando que pertenecen a la Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana.

Desde nuestra compa??a aclaramos que las im?genes del desag?e que muestra el video corresponden al drenaje pluvial de la ciudad y NO a CND.

Como empresa socialmente responsable y comprometida con la protecci?n al medio ambiente somos conscientes de la importancia del correcto tratamiento de agua. En la Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana contamos con una de las plantas de tratamiento de aguas residuales m?s modernas del pa?s en la que tratamos el 100% del l?quido utilizado en el proceso de elaboraci?n de nuestros productos antes de verterla al mar.

En la Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana desarrollamos programas de gesti?n ambiental que persiguen el uso correcto de los recursos naturales, renovables y no renovables, la conservaci?n, as? como la mitigaci?n de los impactos ambientales producidos por nuestra operaci?n.

Invitamos a Somos Pueblo al Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales y a todos los interesados a visitar nuestra empresa para que conozcan nuestro proceso de tratamiento de agua."

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana denies this drainage is theirs and has posted a message on their FB page inviting all interested parties to visit their plant. Here is a copy of the message:

"Ha estado circulando en las redes sociales un video donde se muestran aguas contaminadas, alegando que pertenecen a la Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana.

Desde nuestra compa??a aclaramos que las im?genes del desag?e que muestra el video corresponden al drenaje pluvial de la ciudad y NO a CND.

Como empresa socialmente responsable y comprometida con la protecci?n al medio ambiente somos conscientes de la importancia del correcto tratamiento de agua. En la Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana contamos con una de las plantas de tratamiento de aguas residuales m?s modernas del pa?s en la que tratamos el 100% del l?quido utilizado en el proceso de elaboraci?n de nuestros productos antes de verterla al mar.

En la Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana desarrollamos programas de gesti?n ambiental que persiguen el uso correcto de los recursos naturales, renovables y no renovables, la conservaci?n, as? como la mitigaci?n de los impactos ambientales producidos por nuestra operaci?n.

Invitamos a Somos Pueblo al Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales y a todos los interesados a visitar nuestra empresa para que conozcan nuestro proceso de tratamiento de agua."

The Environment Ministry has now posted this on their website in relation to the discharge in the video.

http://www.ambiente.gob.do/ambiente...dentifica-falta-en-el-sistema-hidrosanitario/

There wasn't a pipe directly from the Brewery.

But the Brewery after investigation has been fined for discharging untreated effluent into the sewage system, has now ceased doing so and is to provide treatment in future, and that one of the two pipes at the location of the discharge was indeed a sewage pipe....the other storm water. Yep they were largely responsible.

We shouldn't be surprised that the city has an imperfect sewage system considering such rapid growth and especially that industrial concerns break the laws. The Ozama is at times of flood discharging into the sea far worse than this episode, especially if the system of linked foul and storm drains exists in this country, whereby in flood the foul drains when full overflow into the storm drains as was very common and still exists in developed nations.

Add this to the countries challenges.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Really happy and amazed to hear the investigation was thorough and a fine was the result. Combined sewer and storm lines are a challenge in a lot of other countries, especially ones with old and ageing infrastructure, including mine. The city where I live has been renewing old lines and separating them. All in preparation for a new sewerage treatment they have to build to comply with new federal regulations.*