Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cuba is no threat to DR tourism

Just came back from 2 weeks in the Havana area. This was my second trip to cuba,the first was to Verandero. things have changed very much in 8 years, and for the worst!!!!. With many Americans traveling to Cuba this winter, my advise DO NOT GO. The prices on most things are at least double what they are in the DR, and the quality is half. the food was bad and in short supply. Mi girl fren and I tried to leave after 2 days, and return to the DR. I was told by the Airlines{COPA} that we could change our return date on our tickets for a fee, about $2000 Dollars.us. Soooo what you you do is stay for the full 2 weeks, as they are holding you ransom. Remember when you travel to Cuba As a american , everything is paid in full, in advance. Immigration at havana airport didnt even stamp my passport, just gave me a tourist visa??. I think that cuba is no threat to DR tourism, at this point, or the near future. They are only a threat to themselves. And I take back anything good I have said in the past about cubas tourism........................DOC..................

2. Likes Wishing you well liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you paid the Gringo prices, if you know how to get around in Cuba you wouldn't have that problem.
    Cuba is still "virgin", wait and you'll see.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad DOC,
    I have read similar horror stories, even posted them in the Cuba thread. Not good

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont know about gringo prices??? mi girl fren made the reservations in her name, Rodriguez, at her uncles travel agency in santiago.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this the same Cuba that had Ray Gun shaking with fear? Only 90 miles off our coast etc... But no threat to the DR.
    I may try there next if Spirit air goes there about Xmas time this year.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have lengthy conversations on the beach in Sosua with a (very well known) American expat
    who´s made dozens of trips to Cuba. He would always say.. Once Cuba opens the door for Americans
    to travel into Cuba without the government´s restrictions, the days of being able to vacation there
    on ¨the cheap¨ will be over.

What the OP has stated sounds very plausible. The DR has a well established tourism infrastructure/
    market. May be quite some time before Cuba is able to catch up.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As soon as Americans arrive in a place prices go up and mess up the market.

9. Likes Jaime809, jinty05, Uzin liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    What the OP has stated sounds very plausible. The DR has a well established tourism infrastructure/
    market. May be quite some time before Cuba is able to catch up.
    The rest of the world has been going to Cuba since the 60s. It's only the US that hasn't been going legally, and some people from the US have still gone.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

More Canadians go to Cuba than the DR. Remember, it is about AIs. (2013 numbers)

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...rts37a-eng.htm

12. Likes NY-DR Commuter liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by USA DOC View Post
    Just came back from 2 weeks in the Havana area. This was my second trip to cuba,the first was to Verandero. things have changed very much in 8 years, and for the worst!!!!. With many Americans traveling to Cuba this winter, my advise DO NOT GO. The prices on most things are at least double what they are in the DR, and the quality is half. the food was bad and in short supply. Mi girl fren and I tried to leave after 2 days, and return to the DR. I was told by the Airlines{COPA} that we could change our return date on our tickets for a fee, about $2000 Dollars.us. Soooo what you you do is stay for the full 2 weeks, as they are holding you ransom. Remember when you travel to Cuba As a american , everything is paid in full, in advance. Immigration at havana airport didnt even stamp my passport, just gave me a tourist visa??. I think that cuba is no threat to DR tourism, at this point, or the near future. They are only a threat to themselves. And I take back anything good I have said in the past about cubas tourism........................DOC..................
    Wow $2,000 to change your return flight! Did you stay at an AI during either of your two trips? Did you stay in a hotel or Casa particular in Havana? It is hard to get a clear idea of your experience and make a comparison. Varadero and Havana are completely different experiences.

14. Likes ramesses liked this post
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast