Departure Tax

rickfisher

Feb 20, 2002
I have purchased a Tourist Card in the UK for ?10 for my visit next week to DR. Is there also a Departure Tax payable when we leave the airport ? If so, how much is it ?

Thanks in advance

Rick Fisher

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Taxes and such.

Heya

I am not familiar with your currency, but i think that you paid more than the 10US for the entry...?

I believe that departure tax is now rolled into the price of the ticket. Be sure to keep the copy of your entry visa (the one you just bought) or they can charge you a penalty on departure.

This info based on several relatives that just came to visit, as well as us leaving the country in Dec for vacation.

take care
marc

Becky

Jan 23, 2002
I just got back from Puerta Plata. Yes there is a departure tax of $10.00 US. It is another money grab from the government.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
DepartureTax

Becky, The depature tax being another money grab from the government may be so. Yet, it is a small price to pay for an inexpensive holiday location. What may be annoying is that it is an up front tax, it's on the menu so to say, you see it and it is tangible. You know you have to pay it if it is not included in your airline ticket purchase, you have to reach into your purse for the $US10. You should be aware of the hidden taxes that go into the increase costs of your purchase price of airplane tickets, port fees, landing fees and international departure fees ect.. The amounts would turn your stomach. We sort dismiss those costs from our minds because we focus on the full cost of the flight ticket and not the itemization of ticket price. Yet, the fees are needed to pay for the infrastructure that supports our movement. I think what is more annoying is the thought of thinking how these taxes are being managed or mismanaged and not being able to see the full accountability for their use. Regards, PJT

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Dparture Tax Seems to Be Collected Several Ways

I read with interest that a recent departure from PP paid the $10 Cash.

I left Santo Domingo on January 7th and was switching to an earlier flight ( with all the rushing around that requires) - I asked the AA agent where the $10 tax collector was and they said it is part of the ticket now and they don't collect it anymore.

Quite a good deal sicne it was booked some time earlier and on points so this was a freebie I guess.

Different airports and different procedures makes no sense.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Departure tax of US $10 is payable by everyone, including residents! Some British tour companies used to include it in their flight prices, others do not & you have to pay at the airport of departure. Check with your tour operator or travel agent to confirm. The tourist entry visa IS US $10 so you HAVE paid a little over the odds for it BUT, you won't have to stand in line at this end to get one when you get here! You should be able to walk through to immigration without any hold-up. - Grahame.

jjfrog

Feb 3, 2002
Tax

You pay $10 for a tourist card when you arrive and another $10 departure tax when you leave.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
10.00 departure tax

I for one do not believe this is a money grab......this money (supposed)is for airport improvements,and other such things....also it is "up front" and they do not try to hide it! Most all airports have this tax.....it is getting more and more widespread!

Michael

Jan 25, 2002
No Departure Tax

I just left the wonderful country on Sunday, nothing paid on departure.

Airline AA and departure airport Santo Domingo

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Residents...

Bushbaby

Do they make you pay for the tourist card still? Last time I left and returned I was not charged (showed the cedula and it was all I needed)... was it a fluke? Have friends that are also not paying the $10 as they are residents.

Curious
marc

Michael

Jan 25, 2002
The process on entry has never changed 10US for tourist card. Leaving, well I never showed a thing.

The trip was wonderful, 8 full days of nothing but great native experiences

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Michael said:
The process on entry has never changed 10US for tourist card. Leaving, well I never showed a thing.

The trip was wonderful, 8 full days of nothing but great native experiences

If this was in response to my post: do you have a Dominican cedula? If so, did you show it before they asked for the $10?

I am 99% certain that Legal residents do not require a Tourist Card...we are not tourists...

marc

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Returned from our trip 2/02/02- no tax was collected at PP airport, first time in 10 yrs. Just paid the $10 for tourist card on arrival.