Bringing an iMac through POP

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What is the definitive rule on customs charges for computers? *I heard that they are deemed as duty exempt.

I would like to bring a new 27in iMac through POP *A large box with Apple written over it and a $1,500 price tag. *What scenarios could be expected?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What is the definitive rule on customs charges for computers? *I heard that they are deemed as duty exempt.

I would like to bring a new 27in iMac through POP *A large box with Apple written over it and a $1,500 price tag. *What scenarios could be expected?

Can you wait until December when they have the "up to $3,000.00 usd exemption"? *Otherwise might not be pretty. *

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Take it out of the box and put it in your luggage. Say nothing and pay nothing. Even if they see it you will pay zero. It is a used computer that you own. I have brought in so many of these I can't count them. In a box they have to open it and you will get charged. And charged a lot.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Can you wait until December when they have the "up to $3,000.00 usd exemption"? *Otherwise might not be pretty. *

Might be the better option. *My 2007 iMac just blew up. *Ironically I unplugged it whilst away for a brief vacation, knowing that the storm was on it's way. *Just got back, plugged it in and bang!

I've ordered a used power supply module for it and will hope for the best. *If the logic board is fried then it's not worth repairing, and will be time to replace it.

Can't complain too much. *Nine years use without a glitch, living near the beach on the North coast is a pretty good life-span in my opinion.

As the saying goes, "Once you've had Mac, you never go back!"

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Might be the better option. *My 2007 iMac just blew up. *Ironically I unplugged it whilst away for a brief vacation, knowing that the storm was on it's way. *Just got back, plugged it in and bang!

I've ordered a used power supply module for it and will hope for the best. *If the logic board is fried then it's not worth repairing, and will be time to replace it.

Can't complain too much. *Nine years use without a glitch, living near the beach on the North coast is a pretty good life-span in my opinion.

As the saying goes, "Once you've had Mac, you never go back!"

Get local insurance on the electronics, it's the gift that keeps on giving. Thank me later :)

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I know this is a useless comment if you've already bought the machine, but if not, if you have a business and can reclaim the ITBIS, I find that the prices Pricesmart charge for computers are almost the same, maybe cheaper, than even the US prices. I was going to buy an iMac in Miami but when I compared the prices it worked out that way. Admittedly I can reclaim the ITBIS.

If you do bring the iMac in a suitcase, make sure you measure the box as all airlines have a maximum length + width + height and I found that an iMac would be hard to fit in luggage which wouldn't cost a fortune to check.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I know this is a useless comment if you've already bought the machine, but if not, if you have a business and can reclaim the ITBIS, I find that the prices Pricesmart charge for computers are almost the same, maybe cheaper, than even the US prices. I was going to buy an iMac in Miami but when I compared the prices it worked out that way. Admittedly I can reclaim the ITBIS.

If you do bring the iMac in a suitcase, make sure you measure the box as all airlines have a maximum length + width + height and I found that an iMac would be hard to fit in luggage which wouldn't cost a fortune to check.

Worth thinking about. *I haven't bought it yet. *I'll see if I can fix this old one, if not, start looking for a replacement. *I've never seen the 27inch iMac in Pricesmart, only the 21inch ones. *I would prefer the bigger screen.*

I actually purchased my old one through Apple's website as a refurbished unit. *I heard a lot of good things about it and can testify to it. *There can be some good deals to be had.*http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Take the thing out of its bag and put it in a back pack and there will be no problems.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Derf,
You can bring it in the trunk of your car .... On the ferry

I prefer the little computers myself. My eyesight hasn't failed to the point where I need a gigantic screen to be able to see it. Even if it stands 10 inches out of the back pack it should be OK, no?
Der Fish

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I bring a Mac Mini and a cheap 24" Dell monitor back and forth with me many times. Mini goes in my carry on and the monitor goes in my checked bags wrapped in towels,no problems with theft or breakage yet and no charges. I agree once you go Mac you never go back,they are bullet proof.

macorisano

Oct 4, 2013
I brought one through Santiago about 3 years ago inside a large suitcase, no box. They ran it through the Xray machine. Customs guy comes up to me with a stupid grin on his face and asks me how large the TV was. I told him it wasn't a TV it was a computer. Guy doesnt believe me so he asks me to open up the suitcase. He inspected it and realized it was in fact a computer. Then he asked me if it was new, I said NO. He said have a nice day and let me go on my way without paying anything.

Denny Dee

Mar 9, 2012
The Aduana does not charge duties on computers, as far as I can remember. The government lets computers through because they believe the injection of technology helps the progress of the country. I have brought in laptops, desktops and monitors in with no problem. You just need to specify that it is a computer or monitor, if asked. I have only been asked about a 23 inch monitor, and once I specified it was a monitor, not a television, I had no issue.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The Aduana does not charge duties on computers, as far as I can remember. The government lets computers through because they believe the injection of technology helps the progress of the country. I have brought in laptops, desktops and monitors in with no problem. You just need to specify that it is a computer or monitor, if asked. I have only been asked about a 23 inch monitor, and once I specified it was a monitor, not a television, I had no issue.

I have heard the same, hence my initial question. *Does this apply to new computers? *I would like to see this in print. *somewhere.

As many who have experience dealing with government officials, they like to make up new rules on the spot depending on their mood and your demeanor towards them. *However these "new rules" can easily be repealed if one produces an extract of a document quoting the chapter and verse of the particular law.

Forewarned is forearmed.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have heard the same, hence my initial question. *Does this apply to new computers? *I would like to see this in print. *somewhere.

As many who have experience dealing with government officials, they like to make up new rules on the spot depending on their mood and your demeanor towards them. *However these "new rules" can easily be repealed if one produces an extract of a document quoting the chapter and verse of the particular law.

Forewarned is forearmed.

If it is out of the box and in your suitcase it is used. No tax and no problems.

Aug 21, 2007
I have brought in 10 iPads at once several times with no problems.

However, I have also bought a laptop and iPads at the Apple Store in Santiago (it's not call Apple Store, can't remember the name.) Taxes make the devices cost more than in the US, but when I show them the RNC for Strength for the Journey, they take off the taxes and the price is the same.

They don't have the variety of selection as Apple Stores in the US do, but if you want something basic and don't want to risk hauling it, I would just buy it here and buy Apple Protection.

Lindsey