James Bond 007 inspired by a Dominican man?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
check out Dusko Popov......
A Serbian triple agent....

some say he was the inspiration.

In fact. he warned the US of Pearl Harbor but was ignored

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
104648_v0_600x.jpg

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Interesting article. When reading about Dominican history or the Dominican upper class from the past century I can't help and wonder: what happened that the Dominican society became what it is now?*

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I stumbled on it too.

ai rubirosa. que lastima he didn't live long enough for the trim suits of the sixties. Those high waisted 50's fashion are so dated.

Whenever I think of Rubi, which is embarrassingly often I think of the term swarthy.

Zsa Zsa was a total babe. Doris Duke, not so much.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Interesting article. When reading about Dominican history or the Dominican upper class from the past century I can't help and wonder: what happened that the Dominican society became what it is now?*

Mauricio, with them it happened the same thing that happened with the blancs on the Haitian part of the island, as in, most of them have left for other shores, although the difference in our case is that a significant chunk have remained, and either isolate themselves from the general retardity going on in the island, or else, swim in it and avoid making too much of a ruckus in order to not be noticed (and make themselves the targets of unwanted attention). At any rate, the end result is that the entire island has been paying a dear price for the lack of an effective, responsible leadership with boots on the ground directing affairs.

Last edited:

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
J/Bond rolex sells for ?240k

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inspired-007-villains-Blofeld-Scaramanga.html

The iconic watch worn by Roger Moore as James Bond in the 1973 classic Live And Let Die has sold at auction ? for a staggering ?240,000.

Experts said that the customised Rolex Submariner was the most recognisable watch in history thanks to an estimated one billion people having seen the movie, the eighth in the Bond franchise.

In the film, the watch helps Bond escape numerous life-or-death situations thanks to its bezel that transforms into a buzzsaw. It also boasted a magnet that 007 uses to unzip Bond girl Miss Caruso?s dress. The watch, made in 1972, has the signature ?Roger Moore 007? on the back.
It had been tipped to fetch ?150,000, but was eventually bought by an unnamed collector for ?240,000 at a sale held by London auctioneers Phillips in Geneva, Switzerland.

A spokesman for the auction house said: ?This is the most recognisable watch in history. The original Rolex Submariner, reference 5513, was made in 1972 and then modified for the movie. Used for both humour and dramatic events, the magnetic power could unzip Miss Caruso?s dress, and catch a spoon off a coffee saucer
This is a nice car
220px-Aston.db5.coupe.300pix.jpg

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Actually, I took the article for an entertainment piece.
I don't really believe the story but hey..
Don't shoot the messenger :)

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Stumbled on this article about the possible origins of 007.
Check out this article....hmmmmm
http://www.vibe.com/2016/10/porfirio-rubirosa-inspiration-james-bond/

Now it all makes sense to me ... I mean, my son's fascination with 007 and me thinking that I'm a ladies man (the only difference is that after 30 years of marriage I can't pick up not even a cucaracha).

On serious note, it sounds kind of believable. Rubirosa, from what I read, had the credentials to be a super agent, drove nice fast cars, lived the high live, had the accent and was a ladies man. *Dominicans certainly have the reputation to be super heroes, look at big pappi...*