Is Iphone SE from Claro carrier locked?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It looks like I am eligible for an upgrade.
I don't need a new phones but if I can get couple of phones cheap with the current plan, I am thinking why not? It looks like iPhone is the ones that have most bands and I was wondering if iPhone SE from Claro is unlocked to carriers or internationally unlocked? It would be nice to go back and just pop prepaid sims in US and go on without interruptions.

And does anybody know model number of Iphone SE? I am assuming it will be A1723 but I just want to make sure.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yes, it will be locked and can only be unlocked after you completed the 18 or 24 months you agreed to. That won't happen automatically, you have to go and request it.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Yes, it will be locked and can only be unlocked after you completed the 18 or 24 months you agreed to. That won't happen automatically, you have to go and request it.

So they don't do international unlock, like some of the carriers in US?
Too bad they don't offer sim free devices like Nexus or like some Motorola. From looking at their site, even I have to wait 18 months, I might as well get SE just for the extra bands that it offers.

Thanks.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
So they don't do international unlock, like some of the carriers in US?
Too bad they don't offer sim free devices like Nexus or like some Motorola. From looking at their site, even I have to wait 18 months, I might as well get SE just for the extra bands that it offers.

Thanks.

You can request an unlock but the penalty is high. I requested an unlock in march for the last three months of my 18 months contract and it was 6,000 pesos or so. Imagine how much it will be for the full time of the contract.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I brought in 2 samsung galaxy s7 phones, about 3 months ago . that were new from T mobile, in the usa, and were locked. The cell phone kiosk at the colinas mall in santiago unlocked them for about $30 us dollars each. then all you need is the right sim card......DOC......

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I brought in 2 samsung galaxy s7 phones, about 3 months ago . that were new from T mobile, in the usa, and were locked. The cell phone kiosk at the colinas mall in santiago unlocked them for about $30 us dollars each. then all you need is the right sim card......DOC......

I can have most of Android phones unlocked in Moca no problem and I had two S6s done recently. I have no idea on iPhones, I just had 5S briefly until it took a dive into swimming pool.

It doesn't matter anyways. We have all the phone needs for now. These two will be just added to growing list of backups.