Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal 2016

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Royal British Legion poppies are again available in Sosua. Wearing the poppy marks remembrance of armed forces members who have died fighting to protect our way of life. The donation you make to obtain it will be used towards the Legion's work in helping veterans and their families who are in need.

Poppies can be obtained from Fraggle Rock Bar in Calle Sin Salida (the road down to Playa Alicia and the Waterfront Restaurant) and from Bill (the DVD man) at The Jolly Roger's Saturday Market.

All money raised will be sent to The British Legion after Remembrance Day, 11 November. Last year we raised 20,150 pesos, equivalent to ?292 sterling at the then exchange rate, and a British Legion receipt for this amount is available for anyone who wishes to see it..

Wear your poppy with pride!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
. . . obtained from Fraggle Rock Bar in Calle Sin Salida (the road down to Playa Alicia and the Waterfront . . . .

Strange how things develop and in this case a street gets it name.

This was/is always Calle Dr Rosen--it's simply an extension of it to the beach. Then someone who didn't speak/understand Spanish saw the signs telling us it was a dead-end street and entered that as the street name on maps-R-us (or whatever it's called) and the street was re-christened. Now a whole generation of tourist and ex-pats is growing up thinking that Sin Salida is the street-name. Charming!

wbr

Last edited:

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
. . . obtained from Fraggle Rock Bar in Calle Sin Salida (the road down to Playa Alicia and the Waterfront . . . .

This was/is always Calle Dr Rosen--it's simply an extension of it to the beach. Then someone who didn't speak/understand Spanish saw the signs telling us it was a dead-end street and entered that as the street name on maps-R-us (or whatever it's called) and the street was re-christened. Now a whole generation of tourist and ex-pats is growing up thinking that Sin Salida is the street-name. Charming!

wbr

Is there something wrong with your brain? This thread is about respecting vets and donating to a cause not about a fkn street name. Two words for you....

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008

wbr

Yes, I knew all this. I was simply trying to describe the location of the bar in terms that would best enable people to find it if they want to donate. Calle Sin Salida is the name by which this stretch of road is most widely known - by Dominicans as well as by tourists and ex-pats.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Good response mambodog. My interjection was intended simply for information as you correctly surmised.

As someone who's walked long ways for several years in the rain and sometimes snow, here in Nova Scotia selling poppies door to door (we don't do that anymore here) and sat in the doorway of the supermarket doing the same, I can empathize.

It's important to me that young people (anyone under fifty) don't forget the sacrifice and that I do contribute to the ongoing remembrance. I sometimes do become a bit of a bore but WTF, I was too young for the big one and since it affected so many lives (including mine) I'll keep on with my 'lest we forget' theme.

'Bothers me sometimes that the young people (anyone under fifty) can so easily take their eyes off the ball. They do get distracted don't they. Not me. Nothing wrong with my brain.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Poppy sales and fundraising events in Sosua as part of the Royal British Legion's annual poppy appeal 2016 raised a total of 13,893 pesos. This is more than twice the amount raised by poppy sales last year and is equivalent to 239 pounds sterling. This amount will be sent to the British Legion to help its work in supporting veterans and their families who are in need. More information about this work can be found at britishlegion.org.uk.

Thank you again to our collectors Maggie and Eric, Bill and Boz and to all who donated or took part in the fundraising events.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
When done wearing your Poppy please post them to the following address:

FIFA,
Strasse 20,
PO Box 8044,
Zurich,
Switzerland.*